Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default How does the Juki work on a frame?

If the harp space on the Juki is only 8.5", how does that work on a frame? By the time you roll up half of a quilt into the harp space, how would you have any room to more around?

Again, thanks for your help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How does the Juki work on a frame?

I think most people here that have a Juki, and I guess you mean the 2010, aren't using them on a frame, and for the very reason you mentioned. When the throat space is that small and you have a quilt rolled up in there you are very limited in what type of quilting designs you can do.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Karen. That's what I thought.

Do you have any suggestions for a machine that could be dedicated to a frame? One in the price range of the Juki 2010 (as opposed to several thousand more)? It doesn't seem to make sense to spend $$ on a machine with all kinds of features best used in sewing/piecing if the machine is on a frame.

Also, how hard is it to put a machine on a frame and take it off? Is that so difficult that you would pretty much just want to leave it on?

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Juki 2000 with a Grace queen frame and have about 4 inches of space to quilt on at any one time. I have quilted quite a few queen sized quilts on that frame and have never had an issue with space. I researched it a long time prior to buying the frame and have been very happy with the results. If you have a quilt shop near you that has the frames for sale go in and see if you would like it, that's what I did. I test drove the frame with a Brother machine that had the same measurements as the Juki. I was kicking myself for not buying one sooner as it made the quilting process so much easier. I don't remove the Juki from the frame unless my other machine is in for repair. Removing it from the frame isn't a problem if you want to do that. I use a laser and pantographs when I quilt and was able to find pantographs that were between 2-5 inches, perfect for the Juki throat space. Best of Luck with your search!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a Juki on a frame and I like it. My machine also stays on the frame too. I'm using a pantograph pattern today that is 4 1/2" high and it's going fine. I prefer moving the machine over the quilt to moving the quilt under the machine.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*