Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flannel backing & Quilt As You Go

Hi all
    I posted a thread a while back when I was in the planning stages of my very own quilt. The quilts I've made so far have been given as gifts so this one is actually for myself & I'm so excited!

There were some really helpful tips that helped me decide which way to go.
    Progress so far : I've bought some AMAZING fabric & charm packs from MSQ!! So pleased with that & the quality is excellent!
    I've also got 100% wool batting & I'm planning on using 2 layers (I want a really warm quilt).
    I'm also going to try the Quilt As You Go method as this quilt looks like it will be quite large.
    It will be alternating blocks of Dresden plates & applique (I've already started on a few of the dresden plates). And all pieced together with sashing inbetween.

I've just been reading about how flannel makes a quilt feel really snuggly & wondered how flannel backing would work with the 2 layers of batting & the QAYG method??

Thanks for your time

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flannel backing & Quilt As You Go

I think it will work very well. Of course flannel is the only fabric I pre-wash. You want the flannel to shrink prior to using it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Almost all of the tutes I have watched have you quilt the front to the batting and then stitch in the ditch the blocks to the backing. Is that how you are planning it? Just curious

Welcome to the forum!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very good reference book for quilting in sections: From Marti Michell: Machine Quilting in Sections book
    You can probably find it cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.

Here's Marti talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeelhIA3qAY
    Wish I could get my hair to look like that! Oh well.

I have used a couple of techniques from it.

I love flannel backed quilts - they are so cuddly!
    Last edited by Vonnie; March 11th, 2015 at 10:55 AM.
    Vonnie

5. Thanks RenC thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie there is a video in the first link that is better.

Quilt Market 2009 - Low-Carb Maching Quilting in Sections - QNNtv.com

I wouln't mind having that book too!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I think you should make sure of is to have a good walking foot since you are going to be working with double batting, flannel and double thickness of fabric on the top layer as well (with dresden plates) because even with quilt as you go, that is a lot of thickness to work with and without a proper walking foot or IDT you are going to have struggles and probably some distortion of the flannel.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

8. Thanks RenC thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Hulamoon I was planning on sandwiching & quilting each block separately & using GourmetQuilter's method for joining blocks with sashing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8B...00dPR6MavvMebE

I have a jelly roll to use for sashing & binding. I was trying to avoid having to do the whole process of laying out the backing on the floor of the lounge.

Thanks, Karen I do have a walking foot. I've also read that with flannel it's a good idea to decrease the feed dog tension (how hard the feed dogs press against the presser foot) as flannel stretches a lot.
    You make a good point about the dresden plate adding an extra layer. I will try to make a test sandwich & see how that goes.

I need to investigate the quality of flannel I can get in my corner of the world as well.
    Here's a really good blog post about this : Kitchen Table Quilting: Using Flannel as Quilt Backing - Tips and Fabric Options

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I used the Gourmet Quilters method for joining blocks with sashing and found it worked well. With the number of layers your going to have I would be tempted to drop the feed dogs altogether as your walking foot will literally 'walk' your layers through and should take away the risk of the flannel stretching. Good luck with it though, it sounds as if it's going to be really cosy when it's done.

11. Thanks RenC thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Update : I went to the local fabric / craft megastore (it's called Spotlight over here in New Zealand & Australia) and bought small pieces of 2 types of flannel. One was called weave flannel & the other was flannelette but both were described as 100% cotton. So I measured each piece to get the pre-wash size then put them in the wash on a hot cycle & then in the dryer on hot as well.

Firstly, the flannel frayed like nobody's business!! The flannelette was slightly better.
    Secondly, there was so much fluff in the dryer lint catcher that it pretty much exploded out when I opened the dryer door.

The flannel lost a bit of colour but didn't pill. The flannelette pilled A LOT (it was the cheaper of the 2 by a long way though).

Both lost about 1/2" in width & up to about 1" in length.

Tonight I will run them both through again since I've read that you've got to do this twice to get a good idea of shrinkage.