Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Near Richmond Virginia, in the Good Ole (confused) USA, but I still love her!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ORANGE PEEL / PUMPKIN SEED with Bleached Muslin a bad idea ?

I've started this really neat quilt, thanks to Jenny's recent online video - it looked so easy and gorgeous in the blue and white ( I too am a sucker for anything blue & white!!). I bought the 4 packs of 5" squares of the "Bluebell", but I decided to take a shortcut on the white background fabric and go for 'bleached muslin', trying to save a buck. I had no idea how thin that stuff is ! :-( I have sewn a few 'seeds' onto the muslin and am seeing that it's not going very well, seems like the muslin is not stiff enough to withstand all the stitching that will go on in the corners. I've tried spray starch but it's just not quite enough backbone for this fabric.

I have four blocks completed, just to see how it was going to look and to further test my theory. Should I abandon this muslin and purchase some 'stronger' fabric ? Or will this stuff hold up better than I think it will ?

So much for taking the shortcut, right ? Ends up costing more in the long run. This is why I still consider myself a 'rookie quilter' !! ~~ Thanks in advance for your advice. Happy quilting day to everyone
    Try to be Optimistic Today ... It really can't be ALL bad.
    Stephanie
    ~~~~~~~~

Daddy always Said : Don't say "Can't"!

Mom always says 2 things :
    (1) If You Don't Know, Ask.
    (2) If You Don't Ask, You Don't Get.

Husband Jack teaches me regularly :
    (1) If you don't know what to say, don't say anything.

Just a little something to think about today.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ORANGE PEEL / PUMPKIN SEED with Bleached Muslin a bad idea ?

I have used muslin in a quilt before and I didn't have that problem at all. Maybe it's the quality of the muslin. I just purchased a cheaper muslin to make slipcover patterns but when I buy it to use in a quilt, I buy a higher quality muslin. Before I buy it, I hold it up to the light and feel it to make sure it is a thicker fabric. You might have purchased a lower quality of muslin. Without seeing it, or feeling it, I can't give any advice on wether or not it will hold up...that will have to be a decision that you make.
    I'm sure someone with more experience will come here and give you a better answer. Hope it all works out for you.

3. Thanks RookieQuilter thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Madeforyouinma11 ... that was an excellent answer ! I sincerely appreciate the quick response. You are exactly right about holding it and feeling it .. I bought this online, even after reading reviews about it being thin. I just didn't go with my 'gut feeling' ... which said NO, this isn't right. I guess the 'bleached' part of it is what messed me up .. I was looking for the whiteness of the fabric.

Live and Learn!

I think I am going to have to start over if I want this thing to work out and last. Again, thanks so much for your time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto our Cil's advice. Muslin is all types of good and bad. I love it most sincerely when it is good.
    Perhaps you can make a pincushion or small pillow out of the squares. It would be easy to put a small lining under those blocks. Or you can also do what I have done with blocks that are leftover or whatever reason I do extra blocks - sandwich the blocks and practice hand stitching various designs.

And BTW - WELCOME!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	103519
    Last edited by Blondie; March 9th, 2015 at 10:55 AM.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

6. Thanks RookieQuilter thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Blondie !! You are very kind

"... And BTW - WELCOME!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	103519
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE] "

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

By the way ladies, please learn from my mistake, besides the obvious (ultra thin BLEACHED muslin) ...

I just found out that the Pellon fusible DID NOT TAKE VERY WELL on this muslin. I was trying to figure out if I needed to purchase more of the Bluebell 5" squares in addition to the more substantial white fabric ... well guess what !! The football shaped fabric PULLED RIGHT OFF THE MUSLIN FABRIC !! It's like I had not even ironed it on. Can you imagine not using the blanket stitch to attach the fabric to your background, just doing some basic in-the-ditch quilting (like I am guilty of ) and throwing that into the wash !! Pull it out and have a white blanket and a thousand individual footballs again !!! O M G !!

Sooo, like I said, please do learn from my mistakeS. Use a good quality fabric and follow the instructions!

Live and Learn or Learn by Doing. Both are costly, in more ways than one!

Hugs to all - Have a great Monday (or Tuesday, or Sunday maybe, though I don't think I have THAT many fans )

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you have some crummy fabric, I would start over with some better white.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire. You're right about learning from mistakes. We all do it and hopefully don't make the same mistake twice! Show us your quilt when it's done - I know we'll all like to see it.
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My go tos are either Kona cottons or Moda Bella solids. Both very nice fabrics and come in lots of colors too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RookieQuilter View Post
    Thank you, Madeforyouinma11 ... that was an excellent answer ! I sincerely appreciate the quick response. You are exactly right about holding it and feeling it .. I bought this online, even after reading reviews about it being thin. I just didn't go with my 'gut feeling' ... which said NO, this isn't right. I guess the 'bleached' part of it is what messed me up .. I was looking for the whiteness of the fabric.

Live and Learn!

I think I am going to have to start over if I want this thing to work out and last. Again, thanks so much for your time.
    You're welcome! You can still use a BLEACHED muslin, you just need to get a better quality. I've used it many times for the back of a quilt and it has worked great.