Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Was I too impulsive?

I have been considering a new machine for a while. I have a Janome Jem Platinum 760, A great machine but tiny. Hopeless for quilting. I, therefore, wanted a machine suitable for that job and thought I had narrowed it down to a Janome 8900 or the cheaper 8200. On Friday I went to a local quilting show and visited one of the dealer stands to try the machines, not intending to buy at that point. Famous last words!!!! ( A bit like all the fabric I wasn't going to buy!!!)
    To cut a long story short the dealer introduced me to the 6600 which I had not considered as it has 2 inches less throat space than the other two. He assured me that the 9 inch space was enough to quilt a queen size quilt and that it would be a better option for putting on a Gracie frame at a later date. Normal price here in UK is £1200 and he would let me have one for £900 and included at least 6 hours of free lessons and ongoing support. Yes, I was seduced and came away with a new 6600. Was I too impulsive? My main question, after all this preamble, is do people with this machine find the 9 inch throat on the 6600 big enough for quilting? Other than this niggling doubt I am more than happy with my purchase.
    Thanks for your help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Was I too impulsive?

Congratulations on your new machine.

I have a machine with a 9" harp space and yes it's big enough to quilt on. You only have 1/2 of the quilt in the harp space at any time, if you quilt from the center out.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

3. Thanks JMAJRA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 6600 and it is plenty big enough for quilting. You will love that machine. It is a real workhorse and has sewn anything I ask it to. I bought mine used about 4 years ago and I will never get rid of it. Would look for another if anything happened to this one.
    Dolores

5. Thanks JMAJRA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I loved my 6600 and traded it away during my longarm purchase. I saw a like new used one at a quilt shop a week ago, and it was all I could do NOT TO take it home with me! I don't think you will be disappointed with this machine, even with the 2" less throat space.

7. Thanks JMAJRA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Babylock Espire and it's only 8" throat space and I have quilted a queen size quilt (90" X 108") on it. Got a little tight in the middle but was doable. And you have more space than me.

Enjoy it - sounds like a good bargain!
    Last edited by Vonnie; March 8th, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
    Vonnie

9. Thanks JMAJRA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new machine!
    I've been eyeballing this machine as mine is also tiny. Please come back and write up a review and let us know how you like it after you sew some things on it.
    (Might help me make up my mind between this one and a Juki when I'm ready! )
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

11. Thanks JMAJRA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new machine. I bet you'll really enjoy it.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for responses, you have really reassured me. I will let you know how I get on with it. Watch this space !

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my Janome 6600 for about a year now and love it. It free motion quilts beautifully. Last quilt was a queen size and I had no problems quilting it.

15. Thanks JMAJRA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got yourself a winner!! No more buyer's remorse. Those sales people really know how to talk you into buying--but it seems you lucked out. Congratulations!

17. Thanks JMAJRA thanked for this post