Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default I love BLOCK magazine...but...

I love BLOCK magazine... really I do... we searched out every back issue and have tons of patterns marked - Jenny makes it so simple... BUT... I do have one small complaint... I think it would be EVEN better if there were equivalencies given in yardage fabrics in addition to precuts. In some cases I realize that doesn't make sense (i.e. Jelly Roll Race) but one of the things my husband and I love the most about quilting is picking out the fabrics. While I think precuts are brilliant, I think offering both the precut options AS WELL AS yardage alternatives (and cutting instructions) would be really helpful. I can certainly do that work on my own, but it would be most helpful if y'all did it for me!

Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears run down my leg...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I love BLOCK magazine...but...

Just keep in mind that M* is the world's largest seller of precuts and that is how most of their patterns are geared.

A Layer Cake and and Jelly Roll both have just under 3 yards in them. A charm pack just under one yard. From that you should be able to figure out what is needed.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering what happened to my subscription to the block magazine.....due to the fact that I was hospitalized from Dec to Feb...I positive that I haven't received a magazine in quite awhile.....
    Has anyone else experienced this ? ....I think a call to MSQC is in order about this....I love the magazine, I really do.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the expiration date on your credit card is current. But if that were the case, I think they would have notified you by e-m. That happened to me. I just had to go in on change the info., then my billing went through.

How are you doing now that you're home? Kidneys working okay?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I think when plain solids are used for a Layer cake (like all white )or a JR then yardage could be given. ( I often work that out myself, but would be nice if it was shown.But for the precut patterns not needed as that is the whole point , to use the fabulous pre selected cuts selections

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Karen. MSQC is a company that focuses on precuts. There are a number of resources online that will give you estimates for yardage.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with Karen. Precuts is the main attraction here. Karen has given basic yardage to the precuts. Its pretty easy to figure from there. After all we need to do some of the work or we could just buy premade quilts. I find joy in all aspects of quilting including figuring yardage..besides a little extra never hurts.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

While it's true that offering a huge selection of pre-cuts is one of MSQC's main claims to fame, they do sell yardage as well, so it absolutely would still benefit them (and us) to put yardage amounts in their pattern instructions as well.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Easy to convert charms to yardage ... 36" / 5" will give you seven 5" strips then divide 40 (wof) / 5 = Eight 5" squares. So 1 yard fabric will give you 8 x 7 = 56 charm squares. I'm not that great at math, but this one was pretty easy for me! I like cutting my own precuts from yardage.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know it takes time but you can convert it I do it when I see something Jenny made and since I have no precuts at all in my stash I convert it it just takes some minutes after all
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps