Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Help! Juki or Janome??

Hi,

I am in the market for a new sewing machine! I'm looking for a sturdy, dependable machine that will be used primarily for piecing and straight line quilting. I currently have a Brother EX-660, which works ok, but I have quite a bit of trouble with tension, stitch consistency and tangling when starting piecing as well as sometimes when I quilt I feel like I have to yank on the quilt to get it through the machine.

So those are my priorities... I'm not too concerned with bells and whistles, I'd just like something that is sturdy, threads don't tangle easily, and quilts with consistent stitches. Also would like a large throat area.

The two I am looking at are:

Juki HZL-G110 (Amazon.com: Juki HZL-G110 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine, 180 Stitches with 1-Font)

and

Janome Magnolia 7330 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00915T28G/...I1HI5QEFOLEPK4)

Does anyone have any advice for me? On these particular models, or Juki vs Janome in general?

Thanks in advance!
    Jenny

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please Help! Juki or Janome??

Both brands have good reputations for well built machines. I don't think you would go wrong with either of these.

3. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Juki H300 which I think is a little stronger machine and I love it. I has a nice sized throat and it has handled anything I've trown at it. I also have a Janome long arm that I love but I found their customer service wasn't very pleasant when I was initially having problems.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

5. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Like other have said before, find your local dealer or the one nearest you. Try both machines. One will speak to you for sure. Seriously reconsider buying from Amazon. You will need dealer support either during or sometime after your purchase.

7. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Juki!!! (This is after owning a Janome that caused many problems/explosions) - Also agree with others who have said to buy from a local dealer - if there are any problems, they will support you!

9. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I have a very expensive Bernina and a Juki 2010Q. Hands down, for straight stitching is the Juki. It doesn't need a starter piece, goes through 18 layers of quilting fabric, 10 layers of denim, has a cut feature in the foot pedal, fast and make gorgeous stitches.

11. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EsGrandma View Post
    Definitely Juki!!! (This is after owning a Janome that caused many problems/explosions) - Also agree with others who have said to buy from a local dealer - if there are any problems, they will support you!
    Explosions? Really?
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

13. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have either one but noticed that neither has a very large throat space. If you are going to FMQ this is pretty important.

15. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny, I have a Janome 6600 that I use for everything, including free motion quilting. I've done large and small quilts on it without problems. Be use to get it from a local dealer if at all possible. They will be an invaluable resource for everything from lessons to very quick service. I agree with others that suggest that you try out a couple if you can before buying.
    Beverly

17. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister has the Janome your looking at and she loves it, I also have a Janome different model and I love my machine. I have never had a problem with the exception of operator problem, it helps to read the manual. I think you would be happy with either.
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

19. Thanks jennylela thanked for this post