Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is causing this problem?

I have been merrily quilting my set of place mats. It was time to replace the bobbin. And that is when the problems began. (The bobbin is wound correctly and put into the machine correctly, and I had cleaned the bobbin case). First, there was a clunking noise and the top thread would break (I am using a brand new needle). I went and opened up the area around the bobbin case and cleaned that as well. There was a little lint not much, but that seemed to stop the clunking and thread breaking.

Now......the top thread catches the bobbin thread, and I am able to pull the bobbin thread to the top, but other than that, the threads are not interlocking. The machine is moving as if it is working, but there are no stitches. When I stop, there is a long thread on the bottom from the bobbin, but nothing on top from the top thread, although it is still in the needle. I don't know what is causing this problem, and my manual doesn't cover this issue. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the cause? (If I wasn't in the middle of another blasted snow storm, I would be taking the machine into the dealer's for a look-see.)
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

2. Thanks JeanG thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is causing this problem?

No idea, but when all else fails - take top and bottom thread out/off the machine, turn it off, exit and then re-enter the room (okay, that might not be necessary but I do it LOL) and start over. If possible, use different thread (both) to make sure it all works and then go back to the thread you need and start back in on the project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to say, but if everything else is right, your machine is out of timing. Clunking (or needle break, etc.) often proceeds that.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sylvia, ok, so you've rethreaded,, checked needle put in correctly, bobbin as well. Did a little research, and perhaps the bobbin gear is worn. It's about the only reference I could find for the thread not looping/ catching properly.

A copy/paste from the article I found/read:

If that doesn't help you may have a broken or worn bobbin gear(s) somewhere in the works between where you wind the bobbin and where the bobbin is loaded OR the timing is off-a job for a qualified technician.

Hopefully others can hop in and help you it. So sorry to hear this, ugh!!!!!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    exit and then re-enter the room (okay, that might not be necessary but I do it LOL)
    That works for me too!

I would redo everything to see if it's the machine. So, new fabric, new thread (top and bottom), totally clean out bobbin area (remove the bobbin case when cleaning), new needle, turn off and wait 20 minutes, leave room, eat chocolate, listen to favorite song and try again.

I had something like that happen to me and it turned out to be a tiny bit of thread in the bobbin area. I missed it a couple times but once I found it, my machine was happy again.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen, lol, great minds!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Honey Bun

I was born and lived in Mt. Jackson, PA for 18yrs. and have lived in Erie, PA for 45years.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem. Turned out I needed a new needle; the old one had a very slight bend to it. Couldn't tell 'til I took it out and compared it to the new one side by side. And the "old" one was not that "old"!!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you're FMQ make sure your presser foot is down. I sometimes forget to do that and the thread won't interlock. Also as someone else suggested, turn the machine off wait a couple seconds and turn it back on and see if that helps. Remember to re-do your settings after you shut off and back on...

Good luck!

Honey Bun

I was born and lived in Mt. Jackson, PA for 18yrs. and have lived in Erie, PA for 45years.
    Post Thanks / Like

Another place to look for tiny bits of thread is in the area where you wind the bobbin~~had that happen once too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would completely change the bobbin. For more times I can count, even though I think I have the right bobbin, its one that should not be used in my machine. I should separate them into baggies and mark them as to which machine what works for them. It doesn't pay to get the cheap ones that say universal cause they are not. In fact I would not have discovered the problem until I accidently picked up a bobbin in each hand and could feel the difference.
    Just a thought.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish