Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Machine quilting with auto thread cutter and tangles on backside

HI,
    This is my first post. I have made a barn quilt modeled after Beeinmybonnet.com. Darling quilt and for a charity library auction for which I make a quilt every year. Love doing it for them...however, I quilted the bejibbers out of this small quilt as I had to individually quilt all the elements of each barn using free motion and walking foot cross hatching, etc. On the back is a huge mess of knots and short thread pieces. My machine (Janome 11000 SE has an auto thread cutter which I love) and it made quilting so much easier and faster. Is there something I am doing wrong to have all these thread tangles and "burrs" on the backside of my quilt? I spent hours and hours cutting little threads and cutting the bird nests out. I back stitched on several but it didn't seem to help. Please advise as this is most discouraging! Even the border which has border machine embroidery all the way around had some tangles on the back but not as many as my free motion and cross hatching....
    Last edited by jollygirl; February 26th, 2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typos

2. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine quilting with auto thread cutter and tangles on backside

when you start quilting are you bringing the bobbin thread to the top. Hold the top thread and put the needle down through the fabric and back up. pull the top thread and you will see the bobbin thread come to the top. Hold both threads and start sewing, and then trim them off. That should cure your tangles on the back. if you use the thread cutter you will have short threads. just have to trim them
    Dolores

4. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to watch some YouTube videos on FMQ. One does NOT use the thread cutter when doing FMQ!

6. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Although I love my auto-cutter on my Janome, I learned the hard way on a baby quilt that it is not good for quilting. It seems so handy, but it does leave a messy back on the quilt. It would be better to bury the threads.

8. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post