Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gracie Frame - Craigslist

Found a King size Gracie frame on Craigslist for $500. Like new, moving and need to get rid of it. I'm thinking this is a decent price since they go for over $1500 new correct??

My question is, for someone who can't master FMQ is this worth it? If you do have a Gracie do you have a machine you use just for the frame or do you use your 'regular' machine?

My other concern is how easy is a Gracie to learn to use?

Oh and space.. I need to look up dimensions to see if I have space...probably should determine that first. Heh.

Heather Guest

Default Re: Gracie Frame - Craigslist

I’ve never long armed so I can’t speak to price and ease of use, but as for worthiness, if you haven’t mastered FMQ yet, and this turns out to be a good deal for you, why not? The only way to get better is by doing. Have fun with it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to seriously take a long-hard look at this. You can outfit these with a domestic machine - but you will be restricted depending upon the throat space of the machine. And if you intend to use your regular machine you will be moving the machine back and forth - put it on the frame, take it off to stitch and piece, etc.

If, however, you are in the market for a dedicated quilting machine you are probably in the right area to start to build your long-arm quilting story. And then the expenses come - there are a whole lot of options out there.

Without the dedicated quilting machine (is this person selling that with the frame), you will find yourself very limited. JMHO.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy, thanks for raising these points. This is exactly why I ask questions. I thought to buy a machine to use with it (machine not provided by seller) and did think about throat space. I was hoping if I shop around I could find something that would work for me.

I guess I'm just filled with self-doubt since all my quilts have been stitch in the ditch because I know I can do that. I'd have to learn co-ordination for a 'long-arm' machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are beautiful frames and that is a good price for a king!!! I bought a new Queen Gracie thinking I could use my Horizon on it...but ended up buying a second machine 'just' for the frame. I got a Janome 1600P and as was suggested, you are limited in the size of the designs you can do. If you are starting out with fmq and want something more beyond SITD then I have no doubt you would master a meander or loop-de-loop in minutes. You can, of course, do much more elaborate designs but you have to keep your size limitations in mind. Pantographs are fun on the frame too but I don't know if she is selling the laser to trace them?? There is a learning curve in terms of pinning on the quilt layers and advancing the quilt but it is a whole lot easier on the body than fighting it under a small throat on a table...and no basting! I would try to sample a stand-up set-up somewhere first to get a feel if it's something you might enjoy. I took (and paid a lot for) a lesson on a big longarm before buying my frame. The Grace frame seemed like a happy alternative to a $12,000 longarm!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Grace frame for hand quilting only. first experience with a no baste three rail. I like it but i am no help to you.
    I LOVE JESUS

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Grace frame with king size capabilities for $150.00 off Craigslist about 2 1/2 years ago. I think I hit the jackpot cause I would have probably paid $500 if that is what she asked for here. Mine came without a machine and I plan on using my Brother until I can get the money together for something with a larger throat.
    Did you see up above where I say "I plan on using ..." - yep, I haven't used the frame yet even though it's been set up for awhile. I just bought the ticking material to make the leaders and I am chicken to sew them - get the Velcro on them and the frame and actually try it out. I have to get it together - I have some tops/batting/backing all ready to go - and there it sits.
    I would like to get the Block Rockit to use on the frame - again - I am trying to justify the expense. I guess my experience didn't help you much.

Have you tried out any longarm before? I have and enjoyed it so think if you've done that, you will too.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Grace that I used with my Juki TL 98E. It was a great little setup. But, I bought the Juki strictly to use with the frame. I did my piecing on another machine. I would have hated to swap back and forth. I got rid of the frame when I moved into the little retirement cottage I now live in but would have continued to use it had I not moved. I was very happy with it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken the financially conservative route. I got my King frame from EBay for $320. It was a local Chicago pickup and included the laser and pantographs. I had just purchased the Juki 2010 (less than $1,000) and decided to keep that on the frame even though it is considered just a mid-arm and will only have a 7 inch quilting area.

There was also a Chicagoland quilt shop that made their APQS longarm available to rent ... but they had a mandatory 1 1/2 hr class before it could be rented. I signed up for the 1-on-1 class ($45) and explained I didn't need training on the machine part (threading and such) but wanted to get more of a feel of the actual manipulation. The teacher agreed and we spent the entire time playing with pantos and doing some "freestyle" with and without the stitch regulator. (Note - there are stitch regulators available for mid-arms but they run $500 - 600.)

The setup is in the bonus attic room in Chicago. The unfortunate part of being a snowbird is that I won't be going back there until summer. Until then I'm piecing the tops. I'm happy with my decision ... I want it for personal use and can't justify paying $7,000+. Hope that helps1

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

If this is a deal that doesn't come along very often, I would probably purchase it if I had the funds and the room. My thought is if it doesn't work out, I could always resell it for what I paid for it and get my investment back.