Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gracie Frame - Craigslist

I found a used Grace Queen for $250 and jumped on it. I bought an old Singer straight stitch for under $100 and even though it's 50+ years old it had the throat space that I needed so I went for it and dealt with all the other issues I'd created (like how to control the darn thing).

I've since upgraded to a midarm Brother 1500 (also bought used) and love the combination.

Do work out the logistics though - I ended up having to swap my sewing room for my family's media/game room because of it being the longest (though not necessarily the biggest) available space in the house.

Loading the frame will take a lot of time for the first few tries, but I promise it will start to go faster every time you do it.

Now that I have it, I wouldn't get ride of it unless I was going to get a bigger/better one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take....
    How much do you LOVE quilting... the price is good...
    Do you have the space?
    If the answer is YES,, go for it...
    In the beginning... the throat size is not as important as the capability of the machine to stitch well and fast enough to allow you to get good at quilting free motion...
    Angie's post is excellent... she and I have chatted quite a bit about just this subject... she has grown in her venture and gotten very good at it...
    Me,,, I have the Grace Pinnacle, began with a Janome 1600 and LOVED it's stitching... still do... I upgraded to a longer throat Bailey,, and now realize,, the Janome was all I really needed... my dream is to find the middle and get a "Rock it" as well... down the road a bit...
    my space is SMALL,, but I managed to fit it all in... because I LOVE being able to make my quilts "start to finish".. nothing award winning... but I love to quilt and have a lifetime of fabrics to use up...
    Good Luck.. hugs, GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Gracie Queen and LOVE it. I'm sorry that I waited so long to purchase one. I started out using my domestic Brother machine on it but it got to be a royal pain switching the machine on and off "Gracie" so I purchased a Juki 2000 and have been so pleased with the results. Like you I was having a horrible time with FMQ but after buying the frame and watching, practicing and re-watching youtube videos I've become a lot better at FMQ. I did take a few FMQ classes when the QuiltCon came to town but for the most part I self taught.
    My biggest reason for purchasing the frame was I was so aggravated by the time I sandwiched the backing/batting and top together that I wanted to just give up. I could never, ever get it to sandwich nicely no matter how many pins I used it always had wrinkles. After the frame purchase I became a sane person again. If it were me, I'd go for it. You don't have to set it up as a King frame at first for room space. You can keep that as an option and just set it up as a Queen/crib.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Grace queen frame with a Juki TL2000Qi machine. I found the combo on Craigslist and I've been very happy with it. I also recommend you have a dedicated quilting machine. If you have the room, this frame could be a good start for you.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can make room, sort of.... Hubby tells me the garage is a good space but I laughed at him

I have an old Kenmore I can try with it but ideally I'll probably have to use my Brother machine until I can find one I like to dedicate to it.

If I can get it that is... I have to email today and see if it's still available. Sometimes Craigslist ads don't update if a item is no longer available.

Kim, my hubby said the same as you, if I don't like it I can always resell it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went and did it. I bought the quilt frame. When I arrived I found out that it's actually a Gracie GMQ Pro frame.

Now to get over my bone crushing fear of failure and start practicing. After I make leaders though.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you! I hope you have lots of fun with it. I was afraid of my setup for a long time - I have had it almost 2 years now, but really didn't do much on it the first year - partly due to fear and partly due to life getting in the way. I have now done around 10 quilts on it and the process of loading the quilt gets much easier with practice. I think that was my biggest issue in the beginning.

Put muslin or old fabric you don't like on the frame and just get used to the movements needed - they are much touchier and easier to move than you think they are! I have a go to pattern that I use for most - loopy hearts, but am planning on trying a daisy like flower today and then a shamrock. A friend of mine wants to do shamrocks on her celtic looking quilt, but she wants me to do the quilting. I want her to learn it too, but she says that I make it look easy, which makes me laugh!

Please allow yourself mistakes and time to learn - no one is an expert when they first use one of these - it is a whole new set of skills.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Gracie King frame and $500 is a good price on it. I have the Brother 1500 on it, right now, it has served me well. I just got the Bailey machine to put on it. You can put a machine with up to an 18" harp on it.

You can set this frame up as a King, Queen or Twin size. So if you have space for one of those I would say go for it.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been scouring YouTube for videos showing the use of a domestic machine on the frame. I've found tons of videos for putting the material on the frame, and then getting into using it. What I can't find is how to start and stop stitches when I need to advance the quilt.

I'm going to use my old Kenmore, 6" harp space, for now to get used to the whole contraption. So I figue I'll have maybe 3 to 4 inches of work space.... So what do I do when I get to the end and need to advance the quilt? Tie it off and bury the knot?

That's the part that confuses me right now. I'm not even going to get into learning to use the wooden pantographs yet.

edited for spelling mistake

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    I've been scouring YouTube for videos showing the use of a domestic machine on the frame. I've found tons of videos for putting the material on the frame, and then getting into using it. What I can't find is how to start and stop stitches when I need to advance the quilt.

I'm going to use my old Kenmore, 6" harp space, for now to get used to the whole contraption. So I figue I'll have maybe 3 to 4 inches of work space.... So what do I do when I get to the end and need to advance the quilt? Tie it off and bury the knot?

That's the part that confuses me right now. I'm not even going to get into learning to use the wooden pantographs yet.

edited for spelling mistake
    I just leave my needle in the fabric, take the clamps off and roll the quilt. If you leave the needle down you will know where to stop when you're rolling. I quilt back and forth across the quilt, with my first bobbin, to see how many complete rows I can get and then I try to only stop at the end of a row when I need to change the bobbin. At the end of the row I will take a few stiches in the same spot to secure it....but I don't bury them because I'm going to put a binding over those.

Have you watched the videos on the Grace site?
    Last edited by buckeyequilter; March 1st, 2015 at 06:07 PM.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!