Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Press vs starch

I am starting a quilt that needs a boat load of HST. I don't use much starch but have a can of Niagra. I have seen recommendations on here for something called Best Press. Is that an alternative to starch? Where do you buy it? Should I use that instead of spray starch?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Press vs starch

I use Best Press and I love it. I usually get it at my LQS or order it online but I think there are other places that carry it too. It's not the cheapest way to go but I love the results and never get any flaking.
    Carolyn

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I actually use both. I get the lavender scented Best Press at either LQS or JoAnn's using a coupon. Hancocks"s also has it. For starch I use Niagara non-aerosol spray starch plus. It has a linen scent and starches a little more stiff than Best Press. I get the starch at the grocery store.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Blondie's recipe for homemade starch. Love it!

Recipe is in my user notes
    Last edited by Iris Girl; February 25th, 2015 at 12:59 PM.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Iris Girl: I checked your notes for home made starch. There's VODKA in there really? Or did she add that ingredient as a joke or something? Wouldn't that just evaporate?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Iris Girl: I checked your notes for home made starch. There's VODKA in there really? Or did she add that ingredient as a joke or something? Wouldn't that just evaporate?
    Not a joke, because the vodka has a bit of starch from the grain it was distilled from and because you keep it in a closed spray bottle it won't evaporate. I've tried this recipe, and it does perform a lot like Best Press, although I still think Best Press is better. I love it for pressing very flat blocks.

However, I have come to prefer making my own starch from cornstarch. A very, very, very cheap alternative and you can make the starch as heavy or light as you feel you need for your project. When I use the recipe in the link below, I place some of the liquid starch in my spray bottle and the rest in a Mason jar in the refrigerator. It will go bad, so label the jar with the date you made it.

Here's an informative link: Starch Quilt Fabric / How to Make Homemade Liquid Starch

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a good Russian vodka (made from potatoes) you get the natural starch that way. Not as many vodkas are distilled from potatoes anymore. I'd have to do a search to find out which ones. I imagine when the starch recipe came out way back when most of them were made from potatoes.

If you have any problems with silverfish where you live I would recommend not using corn starch to make your starch as that can be a draw for bugs.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In fact, vodkas are distilled from grains, sugar beet molasses, sorghum, soybeans, potatoes, and even wood pulp byproducts. The common denominator here is plant starches. Naturally, distilleries use the cheapest possible starch source to distill vodka. There is no standardization.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating discussion. It brings up another good reason to wash a quilt before you gift it. If you're using a corn-based spray starch, you'd need to know if the recipient is allergic to corn, or be safe and launder before gifting.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies I am really impressed with your knowledge. How do you know all this stuff? You could all win on Jeopardy!!