• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psucolleen
    Shiny Thimble
    • Feb 2015

Doily Quilt advice, please?

Hello all! Newbie checking in. I have a friend who asked me for some advice about a quilts she wants to make using doilies that belonged to her grandparents. I had my suggestions but given that these doilies are heirlooms, I thought I'd turn to those of you who would know best. I'm a very basic 'quilter'; so basic that I likely shouldn't even be considered in the 'basic' category. )

She is wondering what kind of material to use for the backing. I've attached a photo of an example she sent me. Any suggestions? Advice? Opinions? Clairvoyance? I know she'd greatly appreciate it. TIA!

Colleen

doilie quilt.jpg
  • Meghan Plamondon
    The Guild President
    • Mar 2014

Re: Doily Quilt advice, please?

I am no expert, and I am sure that others will add their opinions, but heres mine. I saw once at a quilt show, the same sort of quilt you are mentioning. It was made with a light backing, off white, and the doilies were applied on top to the quilt by hand. It was very fragile looking, and not really made for a young child to use if you know what I mean. The doilies were arranged to fit as best they could in a larger inner border, but did not cover the entire quilt top. The backing fabric showed through. I think the doilies might have been tacked down here and there to keep them in place. It was stunning! Good luck.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2010

I agree with MEGHAN - tack them down by hand every 1/4" or so to a single off-white sheet. OR, tack each one to a square of colored fabric just slightly larger than the doily and arrange in a sampler style. It may be easier for you to handle doing individual ones. So much will depend upon what your friend wants.

Doilies.jpg
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• SuzyQue
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2010

The dark background really shows off the delicate crocheting of the doilies, but the off white background would be delicate and more old fashioned looking. It really depends on what your friend likes. I think making squares would be easier, then setting them together.

Comment

• psucolleen
          Shiny Thimble
          • Feb 2015

Thanks very much for the replies and phots. I think she intends on the exact technique you've described. She's just trying to figure out what would be the best type of material to use to set them on. Thanks again.

Comment

• Sandy Navas
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by psucolleen View Post
            Thanks very much for the replies and phots. I think she intends on the exact technique you've described. She's just trying to figure out what would be the best type of material to use to set them on. Thanks again.
            If you look at the Pinterest site you will see one that is on a beige fabric and that is the one that truly took my eye. Why don't you let your friend pick? I would think that sateen, cotton, wool, linen, velvet . . . just about anything would work and the final deciding factor (at least for me) would be how easy it would be to care for and whether or not it would be on display all the time.
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Snip Snip
              Missouri Star
              • Sep 2014

Ooh, that one with the white background is gorgeous. I have lots of doilies; I may have to do something like that with them. This kind of quilt is more a show piece than a utility piece, but as long as the owner understands, no problem.
              As a matter of fact, the table I am sitting at is covered in a doily tablecloth that my late cousin made. I could use it as a center piece on a quilt top, and put other doilies around it. Hmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
              X