Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are you addicted?

I am definitely addicted to quilting rather than to buying fabric. Last year when I was kind of broke my consolation was I could keep on quilting with repurposed fabrics from clothing. I've started watching up what I spend in fabric and related items (thread, etc) and it still is waaaay under what DH spends in cigarettes.

2. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, first, I couldn't sit down and read your post until I got my first cup of coffee. (I usually drink one in AM and one mid-afternoon.)

Hmmmmmm? Are painters addicted to painting? Are writers addicted to writing? Is a runner addicted to running?.......a photographer to taking pictures?......Is everyone with a hobby addicted to their hobby?......etc. Now that I am retired, quilting is one of my creative outlets. I enjoy choosing fabrics, selecting patterns, cutting piecing and quilting. (Not so much the sandwiching, basting and binding, but I work through that!) But my addiction is really to making useful objects that are also beautiful. Some for myself, many more to gift to others.

I have learned that any of the at home stages of quilting is good for me when I am troubled. Whether this is escapism or not, I do look to quilting to help me deal during problem times.

I can reign in my desire to buy material, and I can discipline myself to finish a project (or projects) before starting another (this weekend excluded!). I can also ignore the call of the sewing machine when other tasks need to be done (most of the time!) But it is a very enjoyable way to spend my time, and who doesn't want to have an enjoyable time rather than the alternative?

So, if all of this is an addiction, then so be it.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

4. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought I was addicted but (and I'm ashamed to admit this)
    after my MIL passed away last Sunday I cleaned up my sewing area and
    stopped sewing until Thursday after the funeral. I found myself wanting
    so badly to sew and create. So, yes I guess I am addicted. Sigh....

6. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm.....I don't think quilting is an addiction. I think it is more therapy, whether you are adding to your stash, just looking at fabrics, or actually sewing. I think passion what was said in an earlier thread is more appropriate.

I think also, its not an addiction it's a choice. I think I know why we like it so much too.

Think of it like this: Lets say you could have a baby and choose what eye color, hair color, height, width, skin tone, and every other little detail about it. Quilting is alot like making a baby the way you want it. You enjoy the concept (conception) of choose the fabrics and the size. You sew up your blocks to whatever pattern you desire. You complete the quilt top. At this point it is almost ready to be born. You get it layered together and quilted. And lastly before it is complete, you bind it, cutting the last thread (umbilical cord). Now you have a genetically predetermined baby to keep or to give away.

Plus, its very reassuring you can give it away or keep it, but at the same time it serves our narcissistic needs to do something we like and enjoy! Let's face it, most of us do all that needs to be done around the house (and more) and we need to treat ourselves.

8. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should be careful when using that term addiction. I write this as a psychiatric advanced practice nurse who spent over 30 years in practice with deeply ill people, many of whom had both addictions and serious mental illness. Addiction is soul destroying. Addiction wrecks families. Addiction kills the addict - much of the time - whether from overdose, the long term physical damage done by drugs and alcohol. Addiction kills other innocent people - when drunks get behind the wheel, when heroin addicts rob people for drug money. Addiction kills children - when gangs intent on maintaining their corporate power over rival gangs shoot up neighborhoods and murder children in the process. Addiction bankrupts people.

Addiction is a real horror that far too many deal with on a daily basis. I am 100% sure that many people on this board have to cope with the consequences of addiction every single day. Or is addicted him or herself. In denial or recognizing it, it's not a joke. I know this sounds a tad preachy, but please, let's respect this struggle. They aren't speaking up for themselves, but I am saying it. Don't trivialize this tragedy.

Quilting, on the other hand, is a creative activity. It enhances well being. It results in beautiful and useful articles that enhance both the maker and the recipient's life. It is an expression of caring or love. Having a passion for a creative outlet, or recognizing that the act of sewing is a personal coping mechanism, is not addict behavior. Believe me when I say there is no comparison.

10. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not addicted but I do find it extremely therapeutic.

12. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Midge, I think you said it perfectly.
    I do have a passion for quilting.

14. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post