Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 7 Feb 13th - 20th

The whole reason I have a farm is to grow healthy and nutritious foods and veggies for my son who has health issues, and is affected greatly by diet and allergies on top.
    While I wish I could say I've made all kinds of quilts for donation, or for friends, that time will come as I get better at sewing.
    For now it's about doing what I can to help my kiddo be as healthy as possible (for him) because I love him so much.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Each morning I get up and go to work for the love of my family. Sometimes, it is not something I enjoy, but I must do it. Love makes the world go round. Work plus time equals family provided for. Money is a fringe benefit of work. Money doesn't make things better, but sometimes makes things easier. $Money equals time saving purchases which is equal to more time for family.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I helped a young woman from overseas get the support & help she needed when her boyfriend beat her up, threatened her with a large kitchen knife, and stole her passport. It was a horrible situation for her. She's doing fine now.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Something good I've done,
    Well, my 2 year old accidentally picked the Daffodil that was blooming in our flowerbed when he was touching it. Sew, I placed it in water and put it on my daughter's desk. When she got home from school I told her her Valentine's Day gift from her brother was on her desk. She excitedly was hugging him and telling me all about it she loved it sew sew much. Best day ever!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have made hundreds of large fabric tote bags for our local children's shelter for the kids to haul their clothing, etc. in.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I started 4 scholarships at the local university -- one for each of our grandparents. My maternal grandfather was a teacher, so there is one in teacher education. My maternal grandmother loved to play the piano and organ, so there is one in music. My paternal grandfather was an artist and owned a sign shop, so one in visual art and design. My paternal grandmother was an expert at interior design, so one in the interior design program.
    It has been a delight to get them started and this spring the first recipients will get the money. They aren't big scholarships, but it is a university that is open enrollment and has many students who don't have much or are working while attending. It is the most important good thing I've done, I believe.
    All for the love of my grandparents!
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Having been in the Medical field, I developed a very deep and strong empathy and love for the elderly and kids. There are no other age groups that can feel so alone, scared, or unsure of what is happening to and around them. Upon retiring, I started doing Musical Therapy for patients in Nursing Homes, and Rehab. Prior to learning to machine quilt, I sewed (and still do) teddy bears for kids as well as finding story books to go along with them. On a larger scale, it may not be much, but it does have an impact on a lonely or scared soul. One small moment of compassion, a hug, story, song, and/or a simple conversation sometimes is the warmest and most priceless of gifts one can give their fellow human beings. I used to tell newly graduated Technicians, be kind, gentle, treat each patient as you would have yourself treated. It's a small moment of your time, but means the world to the patient in your care and has a lasting impression.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I am making all kinds of sewing items for my daughter, all made with loads of love

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The best thing I think I've done for love was to be there when a DF called to say she was in hospital and thought her DD was dead. DH and I arrived and it was so true. She was devistated. We took complete charge and made all the arrangements for her. Called her family, funeral home, etc. Set up all meetings to follow and held her hand throughout the following days. It was such a sad time and we had never had to do anything like it before, but it came from the heart. We put ourselves in her place and did what we would have wanted to have done for us. The Golden Rule in action.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I also make children's quilts, am trying to save up enough to take to a pediatric day care, I agree EVERY child needs and wants their something they can say is theirs, the smiles say it all