Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 7 Feb 13th - 20th

I just donated a "Newporter Tote" bag to an organization that has an auction at their annual conference. The funds raised help students along the way. Since I work in a University setting, I work with students of every walk of life. Many are struggling financially and any little bit can help a long way. I can't wait to see how much has been raised this year.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter and I made a quilt for auction to raise money for her softball team in 2013. My daughter, Halona, was disappointed that someone other than ourselves would take the quilt home. As she presented the quilt to the highest bid winner, he in turn did something wonderful. The highest bidder told my daughter she could take it home for her use instead!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softball quilt.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	101010
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I helped a friend start a "Kids Breakfast Club" where we cooked and served breakfast to kids when school was not in session (holidays, summer, etc.). These kids would normally get breakfast at school during the school year, but when school was not in session, we felt it would be a good idea to provide a good meal. It was a big hit and we fed a lot of kids (and parents). I was always amazed at how much food the local food stores would donate. It was all a lot of fun to be able to help.

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Several times year I make a quilt or table runner for our local American Legion to use for raising money for their various causes, I am currently working on one to support homeless Veterans.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

This past year I started making quilts for CASA kids.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I just started caring for my MIL with dementia. I know she use to sew, so I'm hoping we can make a quilt together.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Top secret info ahead! I've never told anyone about this... God has blessed my family in so many ways! Whenever we have a little extra money in the bank, (usually about once a month) I pay for someone else's meal. It may be the next car behind us in the drive-thru, or it may be the little old lady that brought her mentally handicapped older sister out to lunch. I don't always know if they needed it, or if they were annoyed at me for thinking they did. Sometimes I almost feel nudged to do it, so I think for the most part it is a blessing to those receiving this little surprise. The first time I did it, I was 18 and was at Taco Bell. Again, not sure exactly why, but I just had this overwhelming feeling that it was something I needed to do. I've never met any of these people and honestly I hope I never do. I'm just happy I can give back in this small way.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently working on blankets for the Linus Project. I also have fun making happy pillowcases for our local DHS foster program.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've made several quilts for Project Linus. More recently I have made a couple of quilts for co-workers who wanted to make a quilt for someone they love but didn't know how. I've done this twice now - they purchased the material and I made the quilts with no charge for time and labor.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started making pillow cases to donate to a local women's shelter. I learned about this through Jenny's tutorial and the forum groups. At first it was just to get back into sewing (and learning how to use my sewing machine again), but after dropping off the first bundle, I had this wonderful feeling, and now I try to make a donation every other month.
    Keep Calm and Quilt On!
    Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.
    Paula