Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got to thinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyAig7XupI

In Jenny's latest tutorial she puts the fabric with the interfacing and sew them together and then cut a whole to turn it.

What about cutting the whole before you sew it together? Would that not be easier ?

Less risk to cut in to the fabric.

What you think ?

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Got to thinking...

Very good thought. Remember the exploding block, where you cut an X in the fabric after you sewed it? That's what I did, cut the X, THEN sewed it. Makes good sense!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a couple of these blocks. I'm using really thin interfacing and I think if I cut the slit before sewing the interfacing would slide around during sewing. It's not a problem to lift the interfacing and make a small slit for your scissors. So far so good.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a quilt awhile back that used this method of using fusible interfacing and turning the piece and I really had no problems or issues with cutting the slit after sewing. But if cutting prior to sewing will work best for you, why not? It's all about enjoying the process and doing it the way that works best for you. I love having more than one way to accomplish the same goal and deciding which is best for me.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You always seem to come up with new and novel ways to solve little problems like this. I think that the slit beforehand would work better for me, as I get too impatient sometimes and that is when I make mistakes. This would save me the hassle. Thank you for thinking outside the box !!!!