Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default How old does a child have to be to be able to start rotary cutting for quilting ?

I'm a Grandma, I would be with my grand daughter ( I have 4 of them siblings and one boy). I was also an elem teacher and preschool teacher, so I would NEVER even turn my back on her when she was using the rotary cutter, but I have no idea what age the child should be. What are your experiences ? thank you, wendy in Oregon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How old does a child have to be to be able to start rotary cutting for quilting ?

Is she old enough to use sharp knives in the kitchen? If not, I wouldn't have her use a rotary cutter as I think they are a lot more dangerous.

It also really depends a lot on each child.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How old does a child have to be to be able to start rotary cutting for quilting ?

I think it depends on the child, but I would suggest you get her one of those protective gloves when you do decide she is old enough.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Personally if she's old enough to use scissors safely that's the only cutting tool I would let her use. Rotary cutters are dangerous even for the experienced seamstress. I use them all the time but would never put one in a child's hands. Fingers and hands have been seriously cut with rotary cutters. This is just my opinion...
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

5. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Every person is blessed with a particular level of coordination and grace with regards to manipulation of sharp instruments. If your grandchild is careful, cautious and coordinated, then you might introduce rotary cutter usage.
    If not, scissors are useful too!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My granddaughter is 9 and has used one in a Joanns class as well as I have let her use it a little with me. Her rule is she is not allowed to even touch it unless I am standing there. I am teaching her slowly. They have to start somewhere and I would rather her know how to use it from me then to just pick up when I am not around and try it. Mystery begs for accidents in my house. So far so good.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

8. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would be the best judge. I would feel its hard to give an actual number but you could have her practice with a rotary cutter that has no blade in it and see how she does with the technique. Might give you an idea of her stability that she may have with a rotary cutter. If she does well right away then you could have her practice and get used tothe process.
    Finished is way better than perfect!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I also think that I would check with mom & dad to see what they think and get their OK.

11. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Much depends on the child themselves, their maturity, their dexterity, coordination and willingness to follow strict instructions. Having said that, a rotary cutter is like a pizza wheel on steroids. Me personally, I wouldn't consider teaching any child usage of this particular tool until they are well into their teens, and only under strict adult supervision. I've Xrayed way too many kids and adults BOTH that have had serious accidents with this tool.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

13. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

My son sent a scare through me last week when he picked up my rotary cutter and asked me what it was for. He was waving it about and opening and closing it with great abandon. I showed him and let him try it out. He was most impressed.

I think he is not ready at 37.

15. Thanks maxwellthecat, zaneyzelda thanked for this post