Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How old does a child have to be to be able to start rotary cutting for quilting ?

Those safety gloves do work. I have some for a mandoline.

My daughter learned to use an exacto knife early on. Rotary cutters weren't in so much use when she was small, but since she had the coordination to cut out small objects with the exacto, I would have showed her how to use the rotary cutter.
    I use an exacto for almost anything that needs cutting. Can't pull a foil or paper tab on a bottle? Grab the exacto.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How old does a child have to be to be able to start rotary cutting for quilting ?

It really does depend on the child. But for all those who would never put one in the hands if a child...just remember I a few years you're going to let them DRIVE!! Lol!!
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, it seems a little reckless to put a rotary cutter in a kid's hands. I think they would get so caught up in the fun of it they would forget about safety, or think you are exaggerating how dangerous they can be. Nothing wrong with letting them cut with scissors, maybe your "special" ones, like Gingher that nobody else in the house is allowed to touch, and I keep mine in their blade sheath whenever I am not using them. I think age 12-13 for rotary cutting? But then, I wouldn't allow my kids to go to rock concerts till they were 15!!