Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How old does a child have to be to be able to start rotary cutting for quilting ?

Probably about 30 years old!!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How old does a child have to be to be able to start rotary cutting for quilting ?

There are times that I'm not sure that at almost 54 I should be using a rotary cutter, let alone unsupervised! BERNICE where are you when I need you? LOL

4. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

They make rotary cutters on tracks attached to a big ruler, Havel's makes one and that would be safer. Being your personal rotary cutter police is a good job for a kid, they can learn about safety and have fun making sure you always close your blade. They'll probably know more about blade safety than you once they wield one!

Kid fingers are tiny and tender, I'd let picturing yourself at the ER be your guide. Even tough old hands can take a good hit from the blade.

6. Thanks maxwellthecat thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How old is she? My grandson is 7 and is so smart and gets excellent grades in school. I would NEVER let him use my rotary cutter. I would rather be safe then sorry. Even if you are right there with her, all it takes is one slip. You have to be the one to make the decision.
    Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is interesting to read your responses, and then to read the one that says a 9 year old took a class at Joann's and used a rotary cutter ????? Maybe I'll call Joanns.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My kids started around 10-12, with supervision, but a lot does depend on the child. If you have a kid that's always fooling around , then no. My kids grew up watching me use a rotary cutter and respected it. They were also learning to use power tools around that age too.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jess1377 View Post
    I think you would be the best judge. I would feel its hard to give an actual number but you could have her practice with a rotary cutter that has no blade in it and see how she does with the technique. Might give you an idea of her stability that she may have with a rotary cutter. If she does well right away then you could have her practice and get used tothe process.
    I was half asleep when i wrote this. Anyway, what i wanted to also say is that the process of practicing without the blade could be helpful for the motor memory skills as her hands and arm positioning gets used to it. I remember when i started using one though. I thought there had to be something wrong with me or the cutter and or ruler. It was so slippery i thought I'd never get it.
    Finished is way better than perfect!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zaneyzelda View Post
    I think it is interesting to read your responses, and then to read the one that says a 9 year old took a class at Joann's and used a rotary cutter ????? Maybe I'll call Joanns.
    I am curious why call Joanns about the age of a child to use a rotary cutter? I think most agree it all depends on the specific child. Lily has been crafting for several years and taught safety at every step and is smart enough and patient enough to listen and do as asked. As the adult I am comfortable with her learning all aspects of the craft. She has already made two quilts and finishing her third. Along with a couple placemats, two easy tote bags, 3 pillowcases, and small projects she designed herself. Are they are absolutely perfect, no. But neither are mine. It will be a long time before she uses one on her own, but you can never use something on your own if no one wants to teach you.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

It is kind of scary to think about putting a razor blade in the hands of a child.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My MIL ( Mom to my DH Terry( Terry passed in 2002)....I still refer to her as my MIL ) taught my daughter and 3 sons to sew simple things at around ages 8-9....I think my youngest son ( there's six yrs between no# 3 and the youngest) at age 10 to scissor cut however I don't think she ever taught them to use a rotary cutter....she is a scissors gal.
    I would say at least 8-9 yrs of age, as long as you were right there with them. OF course it's different for every child. :-0)

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"