Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glide Quilting Thread - Anyone Use This?

I've been watching Amy's Free Motion Quilting Adventures on YouTube, especially the ones on McTavishing. She mentioned using Glide thread. I checked their web page. It's reasonably priced. I don't remember seeing it any of my local stores. Has anyone used this? Feedback please.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Glide Quilting Thread - Anyone Use This?

Not sure that I've ever even heard of it before.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have never heard of either

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I use Glide in my longarm. It was highly recommended by Dawn Cavanaugh and APQS, so I gave it a try...and LOVED it! I use it as both my top and bottom thread and it sews wonderfully.

Glide is a 40 weight poly, so it is relatively thin and has a bit of sheen, so if you're looking for a flat look, this would not be a good choice. It's pretty much lint free which I love, too!
    Piecing on Bernina 820
    Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
    My Blog "Peachy Pages".

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glide is very nice thread. They also have colors that look metallic, but handle much better than metallic thread. The only resource know of is this one:

Glide - TOP THREAD - QUILTING

You can get around the minimum order by calling and ordering a spool or 2 to try it out.

6. Thanks LoveMyMachines thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had never heard of until we visited a shop yesterday that carries it. I was impressed by the appearance and the cost but since I have no need for threat at the time we didn't buy any. Interesting to see what others think.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Use it, love it, and probably won't use anything else once I use up my old thread. Plus, it's very affordable!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I use it all the time in my long arm and have even used it to do a tight satin stitch on appliqué. You can't beat the price! You can buy a 1000 m spool for 2.60. Last time I bought a 200m spool of Guiterman it was 4.00. I think they offer free shipping if you purchase over 60.00 . (but not sure ) After I use up some of this cotton thread I will use it in my Domestic machine, as mentioned above , there is very little lint. They have all kinds of other thread too, if you don't want shiny or if you need cotton...

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Glide Quilting Thread - Anyone Use This?

LOVE Glide thread!! Discovered it little over a year ago and use it exclusively now for piecing, quilting and decorative stitching. Great color selection. I use it for both top and bobbin thread. Works smoothly in my machine without thread fraying or fuzz. I am pretty well stocked up on colors now so not sure what current pricing is, but I usually get the full 5000 meter spools because it is such a cost savings. I was paying around $7.40 per 5000 meter spool last year. I just order directly from their website online. Ask for a Glide Color Thread chart also. Very nice for seeing the actual thread colors versus trying to decide on a computer monitor. Some of the color charts are free, the Glide chart may be $3 if I remember correctly. Sometimes they offer special discounts or free shipping specials with a $35 purchase.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

11. Thanks LoveMyMachines thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use poly for embroidery, but have used cotton for quilting. What are the pros and cons to using poly instead of cotton?