Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question Getting Lost on FMQ

I've tried all kinds of marking the quilt top so I can see what I'm stitching, however, I find myself getting lost and taking wrong turns or ending up at at dead end. I also find it very difficult to see my pattern on the prints with a lot of color. I even resorted to quilting my borders from the backside.

I just ordered the chalk pounce thingy and also a roll of Golden threads paper to try out but in the meantime I have to get back to this top and find my way. Right now, I feel like Dorothy from OZ flying all over Kansas!

How do you manage to stay on track?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Getting Lost on FMQ

I do a lot of meandering and loops. I break my quilt up into quarters using pins or something to mark it. Then I work from the middle out to one of the quarters. I do it so I can work my way out of that quarter into the next. It's a matter of stopping often to see where you are and where you want to go next.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Shayn, I struggled with this as well, so don't feel like your alone in that respect. The Hancy chalk pads work great, have used them with great success. But in the journey, discovered my sketching pencils. I'm somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to FMQ. Have watched Leah Day and Christina Camelli's vids numerous times. Only to discover pick three simple patterns, practice ( x500! LOL) and now I can easily get to it quicker and easier. The sketch pencil (I revert to a chalk pencil on darker fabrics) is a much softer lead, does not leave marks on fabric after washing, easy to follow and also modified my darning foot to an open toe. I work best from top to bottom so I can see where I'm going and headed to. I don't know if this will help, hope it does. Just a description of how I got comfortable with FMQ.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Let me explain a little further as to how I got in trouble. I had the quilt top finished with stitch in the ditch, which was done well and then went on to finish the borders. After I had my binding ready to attach, I realized that I had used 80/20 batting that should have been quilted every 3 1/2". For some reason, I thought I was using W&W. So, I had to go back and do more quilting on the top.

I used a Frixion pen and drew a very large meander pattern. That's where I kept getting lost, especially over some of the printed charms. I've been doing FMQ for quite awhile and usually don't run into too much trouble if I keep the motif smaller. The border is the bright pink print where I had trouble seeing my design so I drew some free hand flowers and stitched from the backing side.

I've attached a couple pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0974 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	100363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0976 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	100364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0975 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	100365  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharyn J View Post
    Let me explain a little further as to how I got in trouble. I had the quilt top finished with stitch in the ditch, which was done well and then went on to finish the borders. After I had my binding ready to attach, I realized that I had used 80/20 batting that should have been quilted every 3 1/2". For some reason, I thought I was using W&W. So, I had to go back and do more quilting on the top.

I used a Frixion pen and drew a very large meander pattern. That's where I kept getting lost, especially over some of the printed charms. I've been doing FMQ for quite awhile and usually don't run into too much trouble if I keep the motif smaller. The border is the bright pink print where I had trouble seeing my design so I drew some free hand flowers and stitched from the backing side.

I've attached a couple pics.
    LOL, apologies, totally misunderstood your post! . I'm blaming it on low coffee quota!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that helped me was to practice meandering(or whatever pattern) on a dry erase board before I start quilting.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Sharyn you did great. Love what you did and the quilt it self. I think you are moving right along , not that I am a pro but compared to what I try to do yours does look professional. Great work .

Hugs Ann

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cil, I like the idea of working in quarters. I'll try that out on the remainder of this top. Like Carrie, I ususally work from top to bottom, but it's not working for me today.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What you have done looks great. I see no reason not to quilt from the back if it works. go for it

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes get lost also and find myself on a different path and then reconnect. I usually do meandering of some type or loops so it all blends in fine after washing. I use frixion pens with stencils and mark in 12 inch blocks as that is the size of most of my all over stencils. I just make sure to turn the stencil so I can go from one section to another easily...Then I usually do a section and take a break. If using dark fabrics I use the white iron off pounce. Not professional but works for me.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud