Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Autistic Grandson

My grandson Zach was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2. He had in home teachers for the first year and then he went to a special preschool for disabled kids. but that wasnt' a good place for him so my DD fought to get him into their school system by the time he was in second grade he was back in their own school. The other one was a half hour away from home.

Fast forward to now he is now 14 and doing well in school. He is in the appropriate class for his age and does the same work as the "normal" kids just not as much of it. Instead of 20 words to learn he has 10 to learn etc. He likes school most of the time but he learned long ago how to make himself throw up and uses it to try to get out of school. He has an aide that is with him all the time and the aide he has now is wise to his tricks LOL

He has obsessions as most autistics do. He was obsessed with the Wiggles show since he was old enough to stand. He used to point out the logos on the videos and picked which one he wanted by that. He didn't start talking til he was 5 and didn't learn to understand cause and effect (if you do this you will be in trouble) til he was around 9. Now he never stops talking and plays his favorite tv shows(Wiggles) through his mind and his mouth all the time.

He is an expert on the Wiggles. He can tell you any trivia relating to the Wiggles. He goes online on Go Animate and makes his own Wiggles movies that he posts on Youtube. He gets lots of hits on them. He may be a movie producer one day who knows???

He is a love and if he thinks you are hurting he is right there with a hug. He is very aware of all things around him even if you think he isn't. He has a high IQ and is hard to beat LOL

He is hoping to learn to drive but probably won't happen. But he has plans!! LOL

His older brother taught him a long time ago that Autism is Awesome!!
    Last edited by RhondaRae; February 5th, 2015 at 05:43 PM.

2. Thanks auntynell thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Autistic Grandson

A sweet story! Don't teach him my "getting out of school" trick--holding the thermometer up to the light bulb until it gets over 100 degrees...lolol Probably with digital thermometers you can't do this trick!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That get out of school trick is pretty slick!!! I worked with a gal whose youngest of four is autistic. She swears up and down it was caused by immunizations and you can't tell her any different!! Anyway, her little girl started school two years ago and last year the teacher told Kris how well the girl read. Kris said, you are mistaken, she can't read. Well, yes she can.....she just won't read to her mom!!! She can write words and since starting school, has started talking. She is a mischievous little cuss though! Good thing she is cute!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

People often underestimate what these kids can do! Zach is high functioning and is really really smart. We spent alot of time when he was growing up just trying to outsmart him! He used to be a runner as in he was always getting outside and would be gone down the street. We put on locks and he would figure out how to undo them. We finally had to go to keyed locks and hide the key.

Fortunately he outgrew that stage with alot of help from his mom and dad and us in teaching him safety over and over LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Kinsey is an escape artist too!! Kris has all the locks on the doors, but somehow she still gets out. She did get out one night and was gone for a couple hours and search and rescue was out looking before she came home on her own. It's scary.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had to get the keyed locks too. I was beyond terrified to go to the bathroom when my son was young at 2 he could find way to climb up and unlock the door and then go out and close it behind him. He was wicked fast and extremely high functioning. So much so that I was unable to get him diagnosed till he was in 6th grade. His pediatrician kept saying oh he will grow out of it. While extremely tough in some ways it also can give great gifts.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.