Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of thread do we use to machine quilt a quilt ? please read

I just am finishing my first pieced top quilt and it is for my grands. I wanted to know what kind of thread to use when quilting it ? ( top and bottom threads ) I asked a lady at Joann's last night, a customer who quilts and she said I could use my machine embroidery thread > Is that true ? I have no idea, but we do not have much of a quilt shop here, so ??? suggestions ? It would be helpful if it was durable thread, as the quilt will be well used (and washed _) by my 5 wee grands, all under age 9 Wendy B in Oregon thank you

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What kind of thread do we use to machine quilt a quilt ? please read

At first I always used cotton but I was stumped finding a thread for a quilt a few months ago and the quilt shop that sells sewing machines showed me the perfect color in the embroidery thread. I told her I thought that was only for embroidery and she told me no and pointed out that half the quilts or more in the shops display were quilted with it. So I have been using it seems to wash and hold up so far just fine. So I have been using it on the last few quilts I have FMQ my machine loves it.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

3. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What kind of thread do we use to machine quilt a quilt ? please read

Quote Originally Posted by zaneyzelda View Post
    I just am finishing my first pieced top quilt and it is for my grands. I wanted to know what kind of thread to use when quilting it ? ( top and bottom threads ) I asked a lady at Joann's last night, a customer who quilts and she said I could use my machine embroidery thread > Is that true ? I have no idea, but we do not have much of a quilt shop here, so ??? suggestions ? It would be helpful if it was durable thread, as the quilt will be well used (and washed _) by my 5 wee grands, all under age 9 Wendy B in Oregon thank you
    My LQS says you can quilt with anything. They insist on 50 wt 100% cotton for piecing, but totally open re quilting.

5. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would add is, watch some of the specialty machine quilting threads. Some are heavier and will require a larger needle. A couple years ago I found the perfect thread to fmq a quilt and learned the hard way to pay closer attention to the thread size.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

7. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

what is FMQ

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zaneyzelda View Post
    what is FMQ
    Free motion quilting is FMQ - oh the things you'll learn. May be time to up the acronym lists.

Anyway, free motion quilting is what you do without a definite pattern - lots of artistic quilts are done FMQ and many times the home-quilter will do that instead of sending their quilt to a long arm quilter.

Check out these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw

Patsy Thompson Designs: Free Downloads

A Few Scraps: Free Motion Quilting

See, quilting is SEW much fun!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

10. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

12. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

14. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use poly embroidery thread for both piecing and quilting. I use Metro thread, which is very, very affordable. It works well in my Juki, and I like the look of a little bit of sheen. Honestly, I think it's all about what YOU like. Some people prefer embroidery thread because it doesn't lint as badly as some other threads do. But, some people wouldn't dream of stitching with anything but cotton. Try a few and see what pleases you. There really are no hard and fast rules.

16. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Leah Day. She uses Isacord embroidery thread. I bought some and my machine loves it. It gives a really nice look to FMQ.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

18. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post