Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where do you purchase your fabric?

When I first started to quilt, I bought a lot of fabric at our Super Wal-Mart, because I wasn't sewing anything special. I still was learning & didn't want to spoil expensive LQS fabric. I've also bought from Hobby Lobby & Hancock's. I have never shopped at Joann's; there isn't one in my town, & I don't want to drive an hour there. I've heard mixed reviews about their products & service. I like to give my business to the LQS if at all possible. There's one in my town, as well as 2 very well stocked shops within 12 mi. of me. I've purchased quite a bit of fabric from M*; I like to give them my business & take advantage of the DDs or free shipping. One time I ordered from Amazon. It was for fabric that M* was out of. Right now, I'm trying to curb my buying & shop my stash.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I never should have read this thread I am going to be in so much trouble.
    Thanks ladies!

I shop mostly local (hobby lobby, Hancocks, LQS) and here on M*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evy View Post
    You won't be disappointed in Marshall Drygoods. In fact, I just ordered 4 yards this morning. I've shopped their online store for probably 4 years and love their fabric. Also, the customer service is outstanding. Some time ago I placed an order to be sent to our home in KY and they sent it to our place in FL. I called and told them we wouldn't even be in FL for months and they said just hold on to the fabric and they would duplicate the order and send it to the right address at no charge. That really impressed me. If I remember correctly it was about 5 yards of fabric that a neighbor who watched our place was hanging onto for me. I had lots of dark blue fabric for a while!
    They take very good care of the "gentleman quilter" also, as my friend could testify.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with buying local ...it's my first choice but ...I'm not interested in shopping in unpleasant shops with odd staff who aren't helpful. Shag carpet (yeah, not the new trendy stuff), and a clerk who keeps telling you "Sharon" doesn't usually do this, or stock that, well I'm not one of the regulars in here because it's so odd, so I have no idea who Sharon is. We have one shop I can't get into because it's up a steep driveway and I can't physically get up there. We just got a new one that looks promising, I'll stop in soon. If only every LQS was lovely like M*!

I started buying from Amazon and haven't been disappointed. But you do have to watch that precuts aren't short stacks at the same price as full. Most shops answer questions promptly. But you're on your own to hunt and peck and search, unlike a dedicated fabric site.

Fabric Square Shop - bought a small amount of yardage from them through Amazon, it's the loveliest I've ever gotten. Pressed, folded and bagged like I've never seen. It's just a small shop in Ohio, they're on etsy and eBay as well.

M* - have made two purchases, everything is perfect and they work hard to make you feel special and happy

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I shop at most mentioned but also at Quilt Fabric Closeouts Quilt Fabric Closeouts.

6. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 309Bella View Post
    I shop at most mentioned but also at Quilt Fabric Closeouts Quilt Fabric Closeouts.
    Just checked them out. They have some really nice prints I haven's seen elsewhere. I can see me using them in the future too. Prices seem reasonable.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

The LQS in my town is no fun and most of the staff obnoxious and condesending, so I am more than willing to drive 30-45 minutes to the friendly quilt shops. I discovered several of those by utilizing the rowbyrow.com site. The site lists LQS all over the US, when I am traveling, I always check there to visit any on the way or near my ultimate destination. On line, I use M* (I love their quilting service too), Fat Quarter Shop, Ericas.com, Quilt In A Day.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes shop on line for my fabric. A good way to find a wide range of fabric stores is to go to FabShopHop.com. You can check out almost 175 shops all over the country. You can also check by state. I have ordered from several of them and have been very pleased and have quite a few favorites I keep going back to. Every shop has been really helpful in any questions I have.
    Quilter's Obession is a really good shop.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with some of these posts about LQS - the one closest to me has some nice fabric, a decent amount of marked down fabric as well, BUT - I have never felt overly welcome there. No one has been rude, and I'm not even sure how to describe it, but I've been in there multiple times and only made a purchase a few times. On the other hand, the LQS near our timeshare (which because of an excellent program, we are able to stay at often - for no extra cost - so we are there quite a bit...) is phenomenal! Fewer offerings as far as fabric, but the staff is friendlier, and one of the employees (Susan) has always made me feel welcome - even when I spend 7 bucks. As a result, I buy more from them, more frequently, even though the shop is farther away. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the 45 minutes if they had something I wanted in stock.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My LQS is friendly & welcoming, but let you browse in peace if you like. I've been quilting less than a year and all the staff know my name. I appreciate their support & hands-on classes & would like them to stay in business so I do shop there when I can. Their taste isn't a perfect overlap with mine but there's enough. I'm also a quilt shop tourist when we travel, and have had good experiences in LQSs elsewhere too. And I will shop online for a good sale or something that isn't available locally. However -- I'm a firm believer in living within your means; if Joann's or whatever is way you can afford, go for it. There are some very cute prints at J's.