Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Quilter

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Quilter

Quote Originally Posted by DramaMama View Post
    7) One final piece of wisdom I learned from Jinny Beyer to prevent purchases that you really don't need: "We have to stop buying fabric because it's pretty, and start buying fabric because it's useful."
    Hahaha, Jinny Beyer is evil! She is the reason I have half my stash - I love her colors. I just ordered a fat quarter box. 40 fat quarters on one of her lines, but, it was only $38.50, less than $1.00 a fat quarter so I couldn't pass it up.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
    I just posted a thread about those blasted Omnigrid rulers with the yellow highlights; DON'T get them!
    Any "clear" ruler should be perfect.
    Of course, if you want to get one of the best, go for the Creative Grid rulers!

A good self-healing mat from any fabric store should be fine (I use the green Olfa mats).
    Get the largest mat you can afford and also get a smaller 17" square mat.

There are LOTS of info on precut quilts... you can do a search on the specific precut to see what sizes quilts they make.
    For a "general" idea THIS LINK will help.

Borders and backing are determined after you're done with the piecing/sewing to that size.
    There are also calculators online that help with sizing as well.
    Like these:
    MyWebQuilter.com: Calculate Quilt Backing and Binding Fabric Requirements
    Quilter's Paradise - The Leader in Laser-Cut and Pre-Cut Kits and Services for the Quilting Market

WELCOME to the Forum and enjoy your quilting!!!
    I agree on the Creative Grids and Olfa Mat and also get a good rotary cutter. When I first started 2 years ago I bought all kinds of rulers and anything I thought I would need. Well, needless to say I don't use any of what I bought then. I use nothing but Creative Grids anymore. Just don't go crazy like I did. I was mostly using precuts, but since then have learned how to cut fabric by the yard and it is cheaper to do it that way, but...precuts have all the matching colors etc and you don't have to figure it all out. Go to the tutorials that Jenny Doan does on this site. It will help you get started and she is easy to learn from. Have fun.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a little thing, but buy long pins. Not regular pins, the long kind. Also I love using spray basting and precuts as a newbie. But my goal is to do my own cutting as it is cheaper. Also as a newbie I would say, when you are tired out and things are screwing up, take a break. Do not let yourself get a habit of feeling frustrated or disgusted with yourself. You will do better work when you let yourself relax a while and are thinking cool and calm. At least you will if you are like me! Have fun!

4. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Man, Karen, thank you for saying this. Obviously I need to dump this chart!! Out **** spot! Out of my hard drive! Thank god I've been more replying on what Jenny suggests on her tutorials. You know it did seem like small amounts to me but I never really tested it. I'm SO glad you said this!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what it is about the Omnigrid rulers that Sheep Farmer doesn't like, but I happen to like them. Different things work for different people or in different situations, so you need to decide what works for you. I also have some rulers with lines that are only black and they are hard to see on dark fabrics. With the rulers that have a yellow or green highlight in addition to the black lines can be seen on both light and dark fabrics.

For starters, a rectangle ruler and 12" square ruler are a good place to start. Rotary cutter - would never cut without one again! Have had June Tailor, Fiskars and Olfa mats and the Olfa is the best. It lasts longer than the J.T. or Fiskars one.

There are tons of places online or at the library for free patterns, guides, etc. Start with something easy to build your confidence. Squares/rectangles will be easier than triangles or working with bias. Starch is nice to have also.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Along with all the great advice, be sure to use quality pins. I had some old pins that actually put holes in the fabric...years ago when I first started.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum. You will learn so much here and we look fwd to frequent postings from you too.

Don't want to repeat all the good advice you already got here but I would add one thing. When building up your fabric stash don't just buy prints. It's hard to resist I know, but every pattern calls for a mix of lights and darks, so lay in a good supply of solids when you're shopping. You will always need them for something and FQ bundles or collections are often on sale.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma not to fear these members are a power house of knowledge. So take a deep breath your in good hands.
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to quilting too, but I have sewn on and off for years so I'm not starting from scratch exactly. What I did was Google and read a lot of blogs and forums to get an idea of which tools matched me and what I want to do. I didn't want to end up buying things I'd hate and keep replacing because that takes a lot more money in the long run.

I tried the Creative Grids 8x24 because it was said that ruler could do just about every job, and it's very true. The lines on that brand work really well for me. I now have their I heart my quilting friends ruler, the 6.5" square, and just got the 3.5x12.5 quick trim ruler. I feel I'm set for a very long time with those. Stick with one brand, whichever suits you, because your measurements will be more accurate.

For knowing how much fabric, I'm just going by any pattern requirements. I figure I'll learn as I go approximately how much I'll need for a backing, sashing, or whatever. My plan is to lightly stash basics like white and gray, as well as some polka dots, tone on tone, and such that can act as neutrals or gentle bits of color with some textural interest. Then I'll just buy prints for each project so I don't have an unmanageable stash that I'd have no idea what to do with.

And if the budget is tight, figure out how to invest in high quality cutters, rulers, the stuff that will be with you forever. Budget cut elsewhere and look for sales. Also, less is more - you don't need many tools to start with. You can always shop for more later.

Most of all, have fun and relax!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!
    As many have already stated,
    a good rotary cutter - olfa makes a good one- it would opt for the bigger 45mm ergonomic one- a good mat- also olfa ( i have a june tailor- an olfa and a fiskars one)
    some long flower quilting pins
    a magnetic pin holder or pin cushion
    2 good pairs of scissors- one large for fabric and one small for threads
    a seam ripper (spend some $ on a good one and be prepared to buy more than one and replace it often)
    starch or best press
    an iron (i use a black and decker one I bought for 2.00 at a garage sale)
    a spray bottle for water so you can steam press seams open (only if you dont want to put water in your iron- i don't)
    a long 24 inch ruler and a 12inch square ruler.
    Some good needles for your machine and the best thread that your budget will allow. Coats and clark were all I could afford when I started and those quilts are still together (15 years later)
    Happy quilting!
    If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni