Omnigrid rulers - GET THAT YELLOW OUT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sheep Farmer
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2014

Omnigrid rulers - GET THAT YELLOW OUT!!!

Is it just me?!
    I am having a VERY difficult time seeing thru that yellow on the Omnigrid rulers. headWall.gif
    It's so bad that I find myself always using the lines that are not in the yellow.
    BUT last night I was measuring some blocks and the blocks were such a size that the edges that I needed to measure only fell on the yellow marks and I couldn't see clear enough whether it was straight or not. I got so frustrated I wanted to cry!

I don't know if it's my lighting or just old age, but for whatever reason it is just too hard for me to see my fabric edge under the yellow markings on those rulers.

Enough is enough!

I FINALLY broke down this morning and bought a Creative Grids stripology ruler and a 12.5 square ruler!

I hated buying more rulers when (as a newbie quilter) I had just purchased all the Omnigrid rulers that were suggested to buy. But I couldn't see any other way out... maybe pouring bleach on the yellow???

Ugh!

Sorry, guys, I just needed to rant.

I'm feeling better now.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm
  • yeeehawterri
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

Re: Omnigrid rulers - GET THAT YELLOW OUT!!!

Oh how I hate that yellow. I've been slowly converting over to Creative Grids. They are far superior! Easy to read and the non slip makes them just as perfect as possible. I have a stack of unused omnigrids sitting in a corner unused. You'll be happy with your Creative Grids!

Comment

• LRM
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2014

I did see on the Man Sewing tutorial that he said to look in the intersections. I just bought a 4-pack, but haven't used them yet. I have now been warned! Of course, I have about 5 other rulers of various sizes, widths, and angles. That is what happens over time -- hoarding
      ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
      George Eliot

Comment

• quiltingaway
        Missouri Star
        • Sep 2014

A few years ago the yellow omni grid really started giving me problems. I'm sure it was an age thing for me. I started replacing them with the creative grids which I really like. However at a recent guild meeting someone had a frosted omnigrid ruler. That was very nice. It would be really helpful if you have trouble with your rulers slipping when you cut.
        Annie
        "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• LynneLeavell
          Missouri Star
          • Sep 2009

I have started changing over to the Creative Grids. When I first started quilting I bought a couple of Olfa Rulers. No No. After several years the numbers start to wear off. Yes the Creative Grids are pricey but if you can afford them then buy them.

Comment

• Granny Fran
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2014

I have attached some tape to my rulers on the lines I want to use for cutting. It helps in two ways: it eliminates the constant realigning of the ruler and it becomes almost mind numbingly easy to keep on cutting without having to stop and squint at the little marker lines. Of course, make sure it is correct to begin with (ask me how I know) LOL. Also the tape is reposistional and that helps, too,
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

• Suzette
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2012

So far, the yellow doesn't bother me at all. I love my Omnigrid rulers, so I hope it's a looooong time before that yellow starts getting too hard for me to see through!
              Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• stitchwishes
                The Guild President
                • Jan 2015

That yellow looked so ugly, I knew I'd hate it, but I nearly bought them because I assumed they were the best since I see them on all the shows and blogs I watch. Thank goodness I ran across a discussion about someone replacing their millions of rulers with Creative Grids. I can't rebuy things like that and don't want to. I adore the CG markings! My cuts were accurate right away without me having to learn anything and the big numbers help a lot. The grip on them is what sold me, and I can't imagine a better ruler.

That Stripology ruler ...it looks incredible. Please tell me it isn't so I won't put it on my list!

Comment

• Bubby
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

I have the same issue with Omnigrid products and don't use them.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Midge
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2014

I understand what you mean Sheepfarmer about frustration with the Omnigrids. I had to increase my lighting substantially at my cutting table, and at times it is still a bit hard to see. I'm going to persevere with these Omnigrid rulers for this year at least. My goal is a Juki 2010, so that's where the investment is going. If I find a new younger sewer or quilter here in town I may donate some rulers and replace them then.

Comment

• Sheep Farmer
                      Missouri Star
                      • Nov 2014

I am SO GLAD to hear I'm not the only one having issues with the yellow.
                      I really thought my eyes were going bad or that I had some sort of color-blindness.
                      I'm sure the ruler itself is great but if you can't even see what you're supposed to measure, it is useless.
                      Anyway, I really hated to spend so much on the Creative Grids rulers, but I just wanted something that I knew I would not have to replace. And the Stripology ruler has been on my wish-list for months now, so I broke down and bought it (yeah, there goes my fabric budget).

Amazon sent me an email this morning saying my rulers have shipped! I'm not even gonna cut any more fabric till they arrive!!!

Now I'm excited!

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                      The Farmmyfarm

Comment

• Genny
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2011

The yellow on the Omnigrid is the reason I've never purchased one of these rulers. Most of my rulers are from Walmart and I love the black lines on them...easier on my eyes.
                        TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• Iris Girl
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Suzette View Post
                          So far, the yellow doesn't bother me at all. I love my Omnigrid rulers, so I hope it's a looooong time before that yellow starts getting too hard for me to see through!
                          I also have no issues with omnigrid rulers. I can't afford to replace all my rulers so hoping it is way long before I have issues with them. The ones that give me problems are the ones with black markings. Can't see those very well.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Doloris
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2012

I'm good with the omnigrid. Just need good lighting by cutting table, but you need that with any rulers
                            Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

• bhaggerty
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2012

I started with Creative Grids and have never gone back!

The Omnigrids are hard to read and so slippery!
                              Happy Quilting!

Comment

Working...
                              X