Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best finishing edge for quilt label?

OK, I made my very first quilt label today. Printed out words on fabric, no alphabet on my machine.

I had no idea what to do with the edges. I actually made a binding for the edges, but was not completely happy with the look. What is the best way to finish off the edges of a label for a quilt? (Already quilted, so have to hand sew onto back).

Looking for ideas. Thanks!!
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

2. Thanks Pfreburg thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best finishing edge for quilt label?

I usually just turn the edges under and then stitch the label on. I have bound them before if it was a larger label. I have also used pinking shears on the edges and then straight stitched it to the backing (before quilting).
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I sew a light stablizer to my label, then snip a hole in middle of stablizer and turn then hand sew to quilt. I find it easier than trying
    to turn edges under.

5. Thanks zaneyzelda, SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sew the label and a piece of muslin right sides together, make a slit and turn it right side out. I hand stitch it to the back corner of the quilt.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

7. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes bind my labels, but I often just turn the edges under, once or twice, stitch them down with my machine, and then hand sew the label to the quilt (cause I don't add the label before quilting).
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fat Quarter Shop did a tutorial on YouTube with Me & My Sister. If I get this right the link should take you there.

How to Attach a Quilt Label by Fat Quarter Shop and Me & My Sister Designs using Stitch Witchery - YouTube

WOO! HOO! It worked!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I had the right machine, I would just embroider the binding. I would LOVE to see that as an industry standard....
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

11. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes will take the label and fold it into a triangle and place it on the bottom right edge of the quilt. Two sides get tucked into the binding area and then I hand sew the folded edge down. I don't have an embroidery machine, I just use a fabric ink pen then heat set it.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    I sometimes will take the label and fold it into a triangle and place it on the bottom right edge of the quilt. Two sides get tucked into the binding area and then I hand sew the folded edge down. I don't have an embroidery machine, I just use a fabric ink pen then heat set it.
    This is the method I use, but I often print on the ink jet fabric sheets from Joann. You can use excel and set your print at a 45 degree angle. I do try to hand-sign my labels - most of the time.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy F View Post
    I sew the label and a piece of muslin right sides together, make a slit and turn it right side out. I hand stitch it to the back corner of the quilt.
    I often do a similar method, but I use light weight fusible interfacing in place of the muslin. This way, when I make the slit and turn it, I can fuse the label down, then hand stitch the edges as well. This just hold it firmly in place (no pins needed) and keeps it straight and easy to work with while I stitch it down.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!