Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Using Iron on Transfers in a Quilt

I'm wanting to use iron on transfers in the center of an Irish Chain Quilt. Should I have the quilt quilted first, then apply the iron on transfer (to help prevent cracking and peeling). Or should I apply the transfer and then have it quilted? Thanks for your help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using Iron on Transfers in a Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou12 View Post
    I'm wanting to use iron on transfers in the center of an Irish Chain Quilt. Should I have the quilt quilted first, then apply the iron on transfer (to help prevent cracking and peeling). Or should I apply the transfer and then have it quilted? Thanks for your help.
    I have no idea, just bumping you up the activity stream. I don't think I would use an iron-on transfer, because it won't be a durable as the quilt itself. But someone else may actually have some knowledge to impart! Welcome to the forum!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible to copy the transfer onto printable fabric with ink jet printer? I think this would be more durable than iron on transfer. I wouldn't want to use the iron on transfer because of peeling and cracking issues.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

really depends on the type of transfer you are using - -- if you're using a t-shirt transfer and applying it with a home iron -- the picture will not last long -- either way -- before or after having it quilted . . .

HOWEVER -- check with a local T-shirt shop in your area -- try to find someone that has a --- direct to garment -- machine
    it might be possible to have your picture printed on your block -- hand wash it - air dry -- this will let you know if the ink in the print with bleed or not -- use parchment paper over the picture and use a home iron without steam -- then add your block to your quilt . .

OR . . find someone with a commercial heat press - and have them print your picture on a commercial transfer and press it on your block at 375-400º . . with med pressure --- what all that means -- is with commercial products -- and at that temperature --
    the chemistry between the ink and the temperature along with the pressure of the machine . . it will FORCE the ink into the fabric .
    -- then hand wash and air dry -- this will check for bleeding of the ink also . . . after it is dry - use parchment paper and home iron without steam to press the wrinkles out

--- if you're using 100% cotton for either method -- your picture will feel stiff . . .-- but if you use a t-shirt like fabric -- that type of fabric will have some give/stretch to it -- then use a stabilizer behind the picture block -- the picture will last for years -- as long as you use the commercial transfer/method

OR
    have someone digitize the picture and then stitch it out on your block - then add to your quilt before having it quilted -- whom ever does the quilting will or should ask how much of that block you wanted quilted

I hope this helps in some way or another

2015 is here
    Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other

5. Thanks Mizzou12 thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas. I'm wanting to do a St. Louis Cardinals logo. So I'm not sure about copyright issues having it done commercially. I know I can buy the iron on transfers that suggest the 375 setting but am still unsure of durability. Thanks again for the suggestions

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me that someone posted a few weeks ago about Cardinals fabric being available again in a few months. Maybe wait & when it comes out, do an appliqué?

8. Thanks Mizzou12 thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea how to applique but I can wait and see if MLB releases cotton again. Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas. I'm wanting to do a St. Louis Cardinals logo. So I'm not sure about copyright issues having it done commercially. I know I can buy the iron on transfers that suggest the 375 setting but am still unsure of durability. Thanks again for the suggestions
    Buy the iron on transfer and put it on a pillowcase made from same quality fabric you will use for your quilt and wash the pillowcase every time you wash whites. After a few weeks you should see how it will last.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I found where the MLB fabric is suppose to be released in April. Thanks for the notice.