Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Delicious vegetable burritos

I don't think I have posted this recipe before. I am making another batch, and my kitchen smells wonderful due to the roasted vegetables. This is the second time I am making these burritos. The first time, I used both white and brown rice, and I used refried beans because that is what I had. I made about 20 in the first batch.

This time, I am using black beans, and I am making the Mexican (aka red) rice that is linked in the recipe. I don't use canned beans, I soak and then cook up dried beans. (I am retired and live alone, so I have time to cook beans from scratch and make my own chicken and beef broth.) I also did not put any meat or tofu in my burritos, as I wanted a vegetarian recipe. (Well, I can scratch that this time, as I am using my homemade chicken broth for the rice!)

I gave a few to my daughter to make for their dinner. We talked yesterday, and she mentioned that she often wishes she had more of these burritos for a meal.

I like the fact that these burritos can be frozen. A double batch gives me enough for a month or two. It takes about 40 minutes to heat one up at 350 degrees. I haven't tried reheating in the microwave.

Recipe: Freezer-Friendly Roasted Vegetable Burritos with Black Beans and Rice ? Healthy Lunch Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Delicious vegetable burritos

May have to try this - I live with a guy who would eat any Spanish-type foods all day long . . . had quesadillas for lunch and home-made tacos on the menu for dinner tonight . . . maybe with some gazpacho.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds yummy! I started freezing portions of brown rice, too hard to make one serving. lol

We have a totilla factory here that started on Kauai. They got to big and moved to Ohau. It's an interesting family story.

Sinaloa, a Hawaii tortilla factory: past and future - Biting Commentary - January 2013 - Honolulu, HI

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting! I think I will try this when I will go back home!
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I tried your recipe Sylvia, and it turned out great! I added some tofu crumbles to the veggies, and I used some smoked paprika and cumin along with the chili powder. Yummy.

I seldom make burritos because, like you I live alone, and putting them together just makes way too much food. It never dawned on me to try freezing them. Thanks so much for passing this one on to us.