Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2015 Retreat questions

I hate to sound stupid, but can anyone tell me what goes on at a M* retreat? What would I need to bring? Any details would be helpful. I've never been on a retreat of ANY KIND! Help?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2015 Retreat questions

I have not been to a M* retreat but several others so I will weigh in about what happened there.
    There was lots of sewing, laughter, eating, shopping, eating, sewing and lots of laughter.
    I took two machines, my featherweight and my Viking Sapphire. I took a bunch of projects that mostly required piecing rather than FMQ, or laying out. There was not much room to lay out a finished quilt top for measuring borders or sandwiching but it was great for cutting out and piecing. There was also a lot of laughter.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The Fall Forum Retreat (2014) was my first retreat. I had no idea what to expect.

I got there and had offers of help bringing my "Junk" in from the car. Introductions and hugs. We set our machines up and it got better from there. The Fall Forum Retreat was somewhat informal, you worked on what you wanted when you wanted.

We laughed, we stitched, we ate, we shopped, we encouraged and just had fun. There were several mini-tutorials. M* employees did some, members of the retreat did others. If you were interested you attended if, not you did something else. We got tours of all the different departments of M*, shipping, customer service, the quilting room and the NEW WAREHOUSE. The warehouse was the hardest tour for me. We were there with all the fabric and couldn't nab any.

We had movies for the evening or people continued to stitch, I read a bedtime story to everyone.

The gifts were awesome! Sometimes groups would descend on the stores and come back and show off their finds.

It was just a really great week. Oh, and Jenny came several times and checked up on what we were working on. She also did her trunk show for us. Al and Natalie checked on us frequently also.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh - I have to let all the secrets out. We have fun, laugh a lot, eat too much, spend too much (NEVER) and sew. There are not set plans for the Forum Retreat - though we have tried that in the past and often some of those plans to bear fruit.

Usually those attending make some kind of special 'treat' to pass to other attendees (like a bag, pincushion, thread catcher, scissor caddy, mug rug . . . the list is endless - whatever suits your level of expertise and creative juices). We have attempted, the last two retreats, to finish a quilt of valor - not sure how far along that is. We usually get to talking, getting to know each other, laughing, eating, having a great time getting to know the town and the Doan family, shopping . . . oh, did I mention shopping? They have five stores open now and the fun never stops.

Hope I've answered some of your questions. We bring our own machines. I don't stay at the retreat center (I do live fairly close but elect to stay in a motel close by). Bring all the things you'd need for sewing at home - your own thread, scissors, etc. Anything you forget can be found in one of the stores though. The retreat center photos are in some of the groups so click on the group button at the top of the page and go hunting.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

As a new quilter and not knowing anything really about the craft except how to sew, a friend of mine introduced me to the "Quilters Apprentice" by Jennifer Chiaverini. Then one day we drove to Hamilton and got to meet Jenny. A short personal tutorial set me on my way. Then I found the forum, and I so wanted to be part of the first group that got together at the Retreat Center. However I had to miss that one. Even though the group on the forum said it was only a get together it was My first retreat from home. Living close enough to Hamilton I wanted to experience my own retreat.
    What I found was very similar to the book, total strangers who enjoyed the same craft as I did. No quilt police, different ideas, methods and a lot of inspirations. The forum group was so welcoming I went away with new friends.
    I shopped, I sewed, laughed, got frustrated with how I was doing something and was shown different ways to overcome my obstacles. NO pressure to meet anyone's expectations.
    I did not stay at the retreat center so I cannot tell you about the after hour activities.. But I sure treasure ALL the new friendships I made.
    Hope to see you there.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Please do not tell more about this heaven on quilters earth. I will not be able to visit M* until I am retired and this will last another 15 years. I hope till then the adorable Jenny and her retreat are still there in Hamilton.

All of you who are able to take a retreat at M*, I wish you much fun and laughter from deeply in my heart

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We first thought of this in 2013 as a way to meet other forum folks face to face. Luckily for us, MSQC refurbished a beautiful old building for us to use! We were the first group to use the new Sewing Center, and we had a blast just meeting sewing shopping eating talking barely sleeping for 4 fun filled days. The town of Hamilton revived their JC Penney Days ( he was born in Hamilton!) and the MSQC planned a " birthday bash" to coincide. The town of Hamilton had no lodging and the only food sources outside of the grocery store was Subway and Casey's gas station! To see it today, you wouldn't believe the change and growth of the town.

The other members have told you a bit of what our retreat was about. Mainly, you bring your own projects to work on, your machine and supplies, or you can rent them from M*. You can stay at the retreat center or go 10 miles down the road to Cameron to stay in a motel, there are at least 5 of them there. We built in some mini classes last year, given by forum members who have specialties to share. Cindy, a M* employee, shared some techniques each day demonstrating products the quilt shop carries, but may not be well known to customers. You can basically tune in to the mini classes or just keep working on your own. Some members brought simple meals that we shared for lunches and dinners. And there are options for food in Hamilton, including the wonderful a Blue Sage fine food restaurant that opened last year.

You feel like part of a great big wonderful family once you've experienced a retreat with the forum in Hamilton! Hope you can join us!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my! Sounds like SO MUCH FUN!! I'm going to talk to the hubby tonight and see if I can pull this off Thank you all for your responses.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mooveenut57 View Post
    Oh my! Sounds like SO MUCH FUN!! I'm going to talk to the hubby tonight and see if I can pull this off Thank you all for your responses.
    Hope you can make it. I live in St. Louis too.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

It is just a fun, fun, fun time. We sew, eat, sew, eat, talk, eat, sew....well you get the idea. The fall forum retreat is a special retreat, that is unlike many others. We all talk and share stories, ask for advice, and give advice on here. On here we have an idea of what the other people on the forum are like, but until you meet face to face, you really don't know. There have been many pleasant surprises in finding out that what you thought someone was like, was really nothing at all how they truly are. Many friendships have been made at the 'Fall Forum Retreats" For me, it is my one week out of the entire year, that I am on my own, without DH, DD or DGK's. Time for ME. To hang out with like minded people, doing what we all love to do. If I had my way I would move to Hamilton, it is just that kind of place. I am looking forward to seeing friends I haven't seen for a year, and making new ones.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......