Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your First Name in your Signature or About Me Please

Dear Forum Peeps,

I've been in and out for awhile due to healthy and family craziness, thankfully at least one has settled down. lol

I see a lot of new members but sadly there are no names in their signature line or about me section in their profile.

Especially when asking for comfort/prayers, I find it hard to address the person by their screen name - it would be so much nicer to be able to say ((Mary)) versus ((FootPeddle)).

You can click on Settings (2nd tab on right), on the left you will find Signature, click to edit, right your blurb with your name, quote, etc. - Save

You can also go into Profile and write a bit in your Biography which will show up as "About Me" to others in your profile.

Help others get to know you and address you in a more personal way.

Huggers, Ruby
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

2. Thanks alliek thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your First Name in your Signature or About Me Please

I just added my name to the signature line. Now off to update a little about me.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Keep Calm and Quilt On!
    Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.
    Paula

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Why? As long as we are participating legally with no trolling or obscene comments, it's no one's business. I'm a believer in total privacy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
    Why? As long as we are participating legally with no trolling or obscene comments, it's no one's business. I'm a believer in total privacy.
    Alpha O, I understand your concerns and respect your privacy. Yes, it is no one's business.
    What dear Ruby is asking that IF YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE, she (and some of us) would like to know other forum members better, especially when asking for comfort and prayers.

Think of Ruby's message for others, not you.
    There are all kinds of folks here - from those who share a lot (they find comfort and a sense of community and kinship in the forum) to those who say absolutely nothing, never post anything, never respond to a post. They check the answers to quilting questions, may be seek inspiration, check albums and are happy with it.

Here is the important part - we can all coexist happily!!!

Best Wishes!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Preeti, that was a thoughtful and much appreciated answer. Myself, I love to share experiences and learning, but I find the internet a little too open and somewhat dangerous to share personal information. If this were a closed forum, and only members could have access, it would be a different matter. But as it is, I prefer to be known as my nickname.
    As you say, it's just what is comfortable for each of us.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Preeti. I've added my name in the signature and have shared generally where I live in About Me. However, on certain posts I've even said where I live by city. I tend to be more private and don't share much, but enjoy those who do.

Alpha O, I totally get where you are coming from and am glad you expressed it. I know people by their nicknames, not their real names. Sometimes I'm stunned by how much is shared (birthdays, personal health, drama, etc). It just isn't my style.

If people are comfortable sharing, then Ruby's post is a good reminder. If not, they can ignore it. The beauty of this forum is that it is a diverse place where we have a common desire to make fabric things.
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As Preeti has so eloquently stated, it's only for those willing to share that information. It was a first name request, something one asks for when one meets a person repeatedly on the tram/bus/train.

Some of us have know each other for years, when M* forum was a tiny community. Now it's become a Metropolitan city so to speak, where folks can be a bit off put by that "small town" mentality. It's all good, we can live together. One can choose to participate or stroll along the sidewalks of that big city. lol

I do a lot of strolling, some things are not worth getting involved in...

Now today is a glorious day, Don called and said the Alert 3 was lifted, their safe, they can go back to work, no one was hurt in the -70 degree with -75 M/H winds yesterday!

Huggers, Ruby
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is a funny discussion and I understand each side. Privat or open, Name or nick-Name, it does not matter. For example, below my Picture, you find my Name, but nobody calls me Renate in my "normal" life, they all call me Bella. So, is Renate my correct Name or Bella? I do not care how you call me, as Long as you say my Name in a good mood :-)
    have all together a great day

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

The more you learn about the internet the more you learn NOTHING is truly private. Big company track you every key stroke online. They are giving that right by you using their site. When I like most started using online site I was told to use nicknames or something other than really name. Now with most site that prefer you use really name ie Twitter,Facebook, YouTube. All of these I use regularly with my nickname. However if someone with enough knowledge on computers can find me through my I.P address. How that works is beyond me but it happens. Saying all that just to say it is your choice either way. I have read the threads were certain members really encourage,help,advise other members and have never met.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOffItsMine View Post
    As Preeti has so eloquently stated, it's only for those willing to share that information. It was a first name request, something one asks for when one meets a person repeatedly on the tram/bus/train.

Some of us have know each other for years, when M* forum was a tiny community. Now it's become a Metropolitan city so to speak, where folks can be a bit off put by that "small town" mentality. It's all good, we can live together. One can choose to participate or stroll along the sidewalks of that big city. lol

I do a lot of strolling, some things are not worth getting involved in...

Now today is a glorious day, Don called and said the Alert 3 was lifted, their safe, they can go back to work, no one was hurt in the -70 degree with -75 M/H winds yesterday!

Huggers, Ruby
    Oy, I didn't proof read my comment and my 4 hours of sleep is showing. That should read "a bit put off" and "they're safe." lol