Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your First Name in your Signature or About Me Please

I understand Ruby's point, but I totally understand why some people choose to be more private, as well. I just pray that the Lord touch my forum sister or brother that has this problem or that health issue. I'm sure the Lord knows who they are.
    Bec

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I limit the personal info that I list on sites that I go to. It is amazing what someone can find out about you, just by what you put on facebook and such. I am amazed at the # of people who do not have their facebook settings set at private. Recently we found out the likely culprit in the theft of a 4-wheeler in the summer of 2012. Once I had his name, I was able to go to his facebook page (which was not set to private)...I found out his friend's names....their girl-friend's/wife names...pictures of their kids + their names. Thanks to this guy (he is an idiot) posting a picture of his drivers license when he turned 16, I have his license number and address. Granted I am not going to use this info, but I wouldn't want the world to know this info about me.
    So long story....but the if why people use user names that are not real and do not post their exact location.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have FB. That problem solved!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bec View Post
    I just pray that the Lord touch my forum sister or brother. I'm sure the Lord knows who they are.
    This was my thought, also.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those who belong to quilting guilds or groups that chit-chat face to face, and those who keep up with old friends and family seem to be oblivious to the fact that on social sites, YOU are the product. The face to face groups don't behave like that, so the assumption is that social groups don't behave that way. Most of us lead blameless lives, but some information could impact in certain ways. Even asking friends questions about health problems could eventually go back to insurance. Another study said that information gathered for sales allows a marketer to sell to some at higher prices. (That's not fair) Once something is posted it's there forever.

In fact, Facebook is just releasing figures on how effective its personalized advertising is. Pretty good growth figures, too.

A lot of the others are just attention grabbers who feel the whole world will benefit from their advice, life habits, and what-have-you. Some of them feel they are left out in the real world. Or kids who don't realize that a post will haunt them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On a happy note...one can always scroll on to another thread and leave like minded to post amongst themselves. No need to respond in ones you're not interested it or feel too far to the left on.
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpattylou View Post
    I limit the personal info that I list on sites that I go to. It is amazing what someone can find out about you, just by what you put on facebook and such. I am amazed at the # of people who do not have their facebook settings set at private. Recently we found out the likely culprit in the theft of a 4-wheeler in the summer of 2012. Once I had his name, I was able to go to his facebook page (which was not set to private)...I found out his friend's names....their girl-friend's/wife names...pictures of their kids + their names. Thanks to this guy (he is an idiot) posting a picture of his drivers license when he turned 16, I have his license number and address. Granted I am not going to use this info, but I wouldn't want the world to know this info about me.
    So long story....but the if why people use user names that are not real and do not post their exact location.
    I think you all would be surprised at how easy it is to find information on you on the internet, even when you think you are limiting it. As a test, I ran two quick google searches on mpattylou. It took me less than 30 seconds. I believe I found her full name, address, phone number, former employer, and the high school she went to (and that was just from two hits). In addition I found a picture of her. That's not even everything. There is much, much more but I'm too lazy to include it all.

What I did is free, and I didn't even dig hard. People who really want to find info on you have even greater resources and could probably know everything there is to know about you in less than 15 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think you are risking your privacy by including your first name. Your full name is all over the internet. Try googling yourself.

p.s. Of course it's possible I got the wrong mpattylou, but my point remains: We've really lost all privacy. Scary, but true.
    Last edited by kaydee; January 29th, 2015 at 03:42 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, my name is Leah, I live in South Carolina and I'm a concealed weapons permit holder. There are 5 million people in South Carolina, even with an unusual name like mine, a lowball guesstimation would be that there are 1000 people named Leah in this state. Go ahead, try to find me, give it your best shot, no pun intended.

There's a big difference between being cautious and being paranoid. I prefer to live my life with cautious paranoia.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I stalk someone on here, and I have, it's so I can find out their favorite color and if I should include coffee or tea in the package I'm sending.

I'm with you Leah, just on the other side of the country!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, if they want your car bad enough...they'll get it. Just don't leave your car keys in it! Ok, maybe if your car is a lemon and you want it to disappear... lol

And I know your name already TOGGPINE! Bruahhahaha
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby