Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finding fabric

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default finding fabric

If you are shopping and find fabric that you really like, without a project in mind but know you will want to make a quilt, or lap quilt, table runner SOMEDAY, do you use a rule of thumb and buy 2-3 yards or some type of measure for stash? I found fabric that I just love....Just not sure ....how much to buy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: finding fabric

I usually buy at least 2 yards.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a hard question! I've found fabric I loved, bought 3 yards of it, and a month later realized I had three yards of fabric that I will never, ever use! It looked so pretty there on the shelf at the quilt shop! But then I've also bought only a little of a fabric I loved and when I wanted more, no more was to be found! It is the quilter's dilemma. Thankfully, I'm a scrap quilter, so I usually buy just 1/3 yard. I save buying yardage for after my quilt tops are done and it's time to add a border or two. Good luck choosing how much to buy!
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it's fabric that is just "drooly", usually 3 yards.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually buy 2-3 yards, depending on whether I think I'll use it for piecing or backing. I frequently buy fabric without a pattern in mind. If I like, I buy it, because I know I'll eventually use it. If you don't buy it when it's available, you may not find it again. It could be sold out. Especially if you've found a sale & the price is considerably lower than reg. price.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Recently the answer was all of it. I found two things on sale and there was not a whole lot on the bolt so I bought it all. I am making a king quilt and two shams so I needed a good bit. I wish I had bought a bit more of one at the same shop, I am 1 3/4" short.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I usually get 2 to 3 yards and never have a pattern in mind.
    Beth

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

When I find a good neutral blender type fabric I might buy 5-6 yards if it is a good price. I have made quilts where I needed that much background fabric to make a quilt. Otherwise if I like it and the price is right I will buy at least 3 yards.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good blender fabrics about 2 yards Others If I love it at least a yard If I really love it 2 I have found good patterns that will let me do fairly big quilts with that much or several projects. So far I have used the fabric of those special purchases.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! Post a pic of it may be somewhere it will show up. Or let that be your new "signature" design...
    A square that is the misfit. I knew a lady that did it on every quilt she made. Everyone would be so excited to get the quilt to find the "fun/misfit" what fun.