Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: finding fabric

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: finding fabric

Recently bought 1 yard of each of three printed fabrics that I thought would go well together for piecing. I've stashed it away to use with a solid -- when I determine what that solid will be. Intention is for a lap quilt.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Usually half a yard, but if I really like it and I think I could really use it and I couldn't live without I'd buy a yard
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My rule = no pattern, no fabric. I will jot down the manufacturer and print name in case I do find a pattern for it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the fabric choices and to be honest, the price. Usually I buy about a yard. However if the price is decent I'll go to two yards.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you posted this question, because I was wondering the same thing.

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My husband put shelves in the closet in my sewing room that used to be a bedroom for son who moved out. He came in to see what I was doing and he was shocked at how much fabric I had on those shelves!!! He said something like "I hope you got all that on sale" LOL except he was being serious. But I did find the perfect backing piece for my tipsy tumbler quilt.
    Last edited by Patty J; January 26th, 2015 at 06:16 PM.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I usually buy 2-3 yards, depending on whether I think I'll use it for piecing or backing. I frequently buy fabric without a pattern in mind. If I like, I buy it, because I know I'll eventually use it. If you don't buy it when it's available, you may not find it again. It could be sold out. Especially if you've found a sale & the price is considerably lower than reg. price.
    This is just how I feel.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patty J View Post
    My husband put shelves in the closet in my sewing room that used to be a bedroom for son who moved out. He came in to see what I was doing and he was shocked at how much fabric I had on those shelves!!! He said something like "I hope you got all that on sale" LOL except he was being serious. But I did find the perfect backing piece for my tipsy tumbler quilt.
    I'm laughing so hard I have tears running down my cheeks. I hide most of my fabric. He always finds it, tho. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Table runner: 1/2 to 1 yard
    Lap quilt: 1 to 2 yards
    Larger quilt: 2 - 3 yards

If you find blenders on sale, particularly in complimentary colors you often use, get as much as you can afford.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I only buy print fabric without a project in mind, ( new to quilting, so I buy all my fabric at this point without a project in mind, I then match the fabric to a block or pattern, so many to chose from!) Background or filler fabric waits until I have chosen the pattern so I can either contrast or match the main blocks. 3 yards is what I get usually. Then I will save the UPC number from the fabric and a small swatch, just in case I need more down the road. I have everything all set for my 3rd quilt ever, based on fabric I just picked up on a previous trip.

Blessings!

Donna