Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default quilting service

I'd like to send off a quilt top to be quilted. Can I hear any pros and cons about the service. Has a quilt ever been lost? I've never sent my quilt tops out so I'm a little nervous about it. I've put so much sweat and tears into this quilt top and I'd hate to lose it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilting service

Linda,

If you are talking about M*, I have been in the quilting room and visited with the wonderful people who work there. They have the quilts neatly hanging in an area right next to the quilters work area. They are tagged and dated. They are worked in the order they are received. Jamie is the Quilting Manager. He works on the quilts as well as problem solves for the other quilters. Bernice (Stitching Woman) does a lot of the binding if you have them do that. She can do either hand binding or machine binding.

Everyone in the Quilting Room take great pride in their work, I think they work on the quilts as though the quilts were owns they pieced themselves.

3. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I visited the quilting room at M* last Oct. and what Bob says is so true. They really take pride in their work and respect the quilters that have entrusted them with their quilts.

As to getting lost or misplaced, well I think that would be a shipping problem to address. My eldest son had his 50th Bday on Dec 27 and I made a quilt for him to commemorate this special occasion. Was I nervous about it getting there??? and during the holiday season? You bet I was!!! I sent it USPS and ensured it for $500. You will automatically get $50, but as you said, a lot of work goes into a quilt....

Happy to say it did arrive safely and you can track it. When I saw it was attempted delivery, but no one home, I decided to call DS and tell him to get to the post office. The postman put the notice in the mail box and DS did not see it. Good thing I traced it and called so he could pick it up. I'm sure UPS or FEDEX can do the same thing.

Good luck.

5. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've used M* and they are great! Used local ones, and sent some elsewhere in the US. Never had a problem. I'd just say be sure whoever you use knows what you want if it matters to you, such as thread color, type of thread, quilting design, etc, so you won't be surprised. I always clarify exactly what I'd like beforehand.
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

7. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The few I've mailed out, I've insured enough to cover my materials, time and quilting to be done. Thankfully, the insured part never came into play. No problems!

9. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would trust M* with my quilts. They do beautiful work and I've also visited their workroom and it's clean and well organized. Bernice does beautiful bindings.

11. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The quilting service I use does a beautiful job and for a faction of what M* and others charge. Most charge by the square inch the one I use charges by the quilt so it pays to shop around. I buy insurance to cover my materials ( USPS well not cover your labor ) but have never lost anything.
    Last edited by Terry L; January 23rd, 2015 at 11:56 PM.
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

13. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never mailed a quilt to be LA quilted. I have a lady locally who does it. When I mailed finished gift quilts to my kids, I made sure to ensure them. They went USPS. All arrived safely.

15. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

if you are near palm harbor get in touch with happy apple quilt shop
    my aunt who lives there got a name of a lady and she quilted a couple her mother made
    was very happy
    Gale

17. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have sent mine out to be quilted and have always gotten them back fine and I have been very pleased. I keep in contact with the quilter so they know what I want. So far it has been a very good experience.
    Mary

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

19. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post