• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sewtotallycrazy
    Quilting Guru
    • Feb 2013

Wedding Ring now too small

Ugh, while pregnant with my son my fingers got a little bit bigger, enough that it made it difficult to get my ring off my finger. My son was born two and half years ago, yet my fingers are still big. I finally took my wedding ring off last night since it was becoming painful due to my fingers being too large. It's one of the most sad things ever not being able to wear it comfortably. So, in the mean time I am wearing a band that I beaded out of sparkly clear/silver beads. It works but I'm still sad. :'(
    Has anyone else had that problem? Any solutions?
  • vchale
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

Re: Wedding Ring now too small

I had to have mine made larger after baby 3 or 4 but then a few years later I convinced my hubby to buy me a new one.
    Vernona (Beaverton OR)

Comment

• Simply Quilting
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2013

For years, I wore just a plain gold band because I could not get my wedding set to fit. We ended up getting me a new set for our anniversary last year. You can take your set to a jewelry store and have it made larger. The biggest thing that has to be watched for is that the band is wide enough that when it is expanded the ring doesn't become too thin.

Comment

• Vonnie
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2013

DH and I went together and picked out new matching bands for our 20th wedding anniversary. That was over 15 years ago. Those rings still fit, but the ones we bought in our 20's they look so small now!
        Vonnie

Comment

• Iris Girl
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2013

I've had mine stretched twice now to accommodate weight gain and no loss after 2 kids. I went from ring size 5 1/2 when I got married to 7 1/2 present time.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

• MayinJerset
            Missouri Star
            • May 2012

Married 60 years and my wedding ring, a gold band, still fits, in fact now that it is cold out the band is very loose. Way back in 1955 when we married I was very much thinner but I've always had short chubby hands with fat fingers and now the rest of my body matches them, LOL!

Comment

• K2Harman
              Prairie Pointer
              • Oct 2014

Definitely take it to a jeweler. We bought what we called a "starter kit" when we first got married because the company I was working for merged and let go of over half the company. I was in that mix. I tried to cancel the wedding because anyone out of work shouldn't be throwing caution to the wind like that but nobody would let me. I went through probably about 4 or 5 different re-sizings up and down because of pregnancies and illness . . . that ring tolerated all that I threw at it. I think the 3rd up size stretched the band fairly thin but they were able to cut the thin back piece out and weld in a new piece to thicken it back up and give it strength. I still have it.
              ~Kim
              @>--`--,-- @>--`--,-- @>--`--,-- @>--`--,--

Remember to ALWAYS smile, it will do one of 3 things
              1. Bring a smile to someone else's face
              2. Make them wonder what you are up to :icon_razz:
              or ....
              3. Scare them :icon_woot:

Comment

• RiverMomm
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2012

Yep, ditto to the suggestion of having it resized. I have had my ring resized in the past. I have also had the shank reinforced because of wear. It's amazing how thin the back of the band becomes after 35 years.

If your fingers ever go smaller, you can have it resized smaller again. But I think that for some if not most women, our fingers and feet continue to enlarge over the years. I blame it on childbirth! My feet got one size bigger.

Comment

• Bubby
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

Can you have your ring enlarged? With the price of gold what it is now, it might be a little pricey.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• bakermom
                    Missouri Star
                    • Sep 2010

I choose not to have mine made bigger. Mainly because my mom did and as she aged she lost weight and couldn't keep the ring on her finger and eventually lost it. DH bought me an inexpensive replacement at a craft show that looks really close to my original design.
                    β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• lourixe
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2013

Before we married I warned DH there was no way I would had a ring on my finger for everyday, as I have circulatory issues and my fingers swell more than often. So my wedding ring hangs from a jewelry chain from my neck.

Comment

• K. McEuen
                        Super Moderator
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2011

Resizing rings is very common. It is better to have a piece sautered in on the band to enlarge the ring, rather than to have the ring "stretched" as the band gets thin and weak if the ring goes up more than a half size.
                        K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹ Albuquerque, NM..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• irishrn
                          Missouri Star
                          • Aug 2010

I haven't been able to wear my rings for several years in the warm weather, only occasionally in the cold weather.
                          Partly swelling, partly arthritis. My diamond doesn't fit either. So they hang out on my dresser!
                          I've just accepted it as part of the getting older thing!!
                          sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

• MBCA
                            The Guild President
                            • May 2014

Resized after third child.
                            Beth

Comment

• toggpine
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2009

Ours had an intricate design all the way around. Hubby said he wouldn't wear his very often due to his job. (I'd rather he kept all of his fingers thanks.)
                              My work on the farm was wearing the blacking off of part of the design and they couldn't guarantee it would look right if they re-applied it. After our child I couldn't get the band over my knuckles either. When we were cleaning out Grandpa's house, we came across some rings. I found a narrow, white-gold band. It fits and is perfect for wearing. No diamonds to loose, no pattern to wear down. There are times when I go weeks without wearing it. If it was only a ring that kept us married, then we have other things to worry about.
                              Maybe some day we'll get around to a fancier ring for me. I did see one once that I could see wearing. A fairly narrow band and very narrow rectangular diamond set sideways into the band. No bit stone to hook on things and a low profile. One of these days, maybe.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel
                              because those who mind don't matter,
                              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X