Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batting and cobwebs

Yikes! I bought some batting at a craft store yesterday. It was cotton and not prepackaged. Instead was on a role, like regular fabric. Today I washed it, and now have a cobweb of cotton clumps, like wet Kleenex . Obviously, I won't choose batting on a role again.

Please, any advice about a good batting for a children's quilt? A children's quilt obviously will have to be washed and survive some pretty heavy traffic, so I thought cotton would last longer. Should I avoid washing the batting before assembly? I prefer a less crinckled finish.

Thanks as usual, for all of your generous time and trouble to answer these questions. This forum has wonderful people participating!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Batting and cobwebs

Sorry, but I have not heard of prewashing the batting. I just use the warm and natural or warm and white batting, but only prewash flannel if I am using it, say, for backing.

3. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I prewashed.....well soaked batting once. I did not agitate it. Then did a gentle spin on it.

It is protected by the fabric and the quilting when you make a quilt.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

5. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SF Jen View Post
    Yikes! I bought some batting at a craft store yesterday. It was cotton and not prepackaged. Instead was on a role, like regular fabric. Today I washed it, and now have a cobweb of cotton clumps, like wet Kleenex . Obviously, I won't choose batting on a role again.

Please, any advice about a good batting for a children's quilt? A children's quilt obviously will have to be washed and survive some pretty heavy traffic, so I thought cotton would last longer. Should I avoid washing the batting before assembly? I prefer a less crinckled finish.

Thanks as usual, for all of your generous time and trouble to answer these questions. This forum has wonderful people participating!!!
    I prewashed my batting...once...never again, it did the same as yours. I never prewash it now.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

7. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 80/20 but I never pre wash
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

9. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I have never pre-washed batting either - I buy it by the roll - usually Warm and Natural 80/20 - I love the crinkly look.

11. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

there is some special batting for baby/kid quilts, I think it is Dream Angel.......... OK, I looked up the link just incase you wanted to know, it is also flame retardant, I'm pretty sure, just not in my budget, the price Wendy in gloomy Southern Oregon, we only see the sun when it is not winter !~almost true !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no need to wash any batting. It will stay together just fine once it is quilted into the quilt.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

15. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I soak my batting in the bath tub. Then let the water out and step on the batting to get more water out. Then I roll it in several towels and step on them to get more water out. Then I throw everything (towels & batting) in the dryer. Comes out perfect. This is using either Hobbs 80/20 or Warm & Natural. Don't know what brand of batting you bought, so can't comment on it. I'm not crazy about the crinkle look either.

17. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of washing batting before use, as none of the fibers are woven together this would always come apart unless you use a flannel batting which is woven together and could be washed. Batting should only be washed after the quilt is completely assembled. Ah....the things we learn the hard way.

19. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post