Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing Machine Call Out to Quilters

What brand and model of sewing machine do you use for your quilting projects?

What features does it have, which you absolutely need for quilting?

What work space does your machine offer? (inches from needle to the right and from bed to the top arm)?

What features are you missing that you would like?

Do you know of a brand and model that you could buy to replace your existing machine with all the features you would need?

Thanks!

Last edited by Verona; January 17th, 2015 at 05:53 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing Machine Call Out to Quilters

My primary sewing machine is a Janome 6260QC. It has 6 inches from the needle to the arm. I have speed control (It will be a must for any future machines), Needle down (another must) and a needle threader. The one thing I want is the tie and cut feature in the next machine I invest in.

All four of my machines (Janome, Capitol, Singer Featherweight and a Bernina Embroidery machine) were purchased "New-to-me". I don't know if I will ever bite the bullet and go for brand new.

The Capitol is a 70's Singer clone with built in zig-zag and buttonhole settings. It is all metal and weighs a ton. It is in one of the wooden carry cases that has the vinyl covers glued on the wood. I bought it used in 1985 for $65 at a local fabric store. It sews a beautiful stitch.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older pfaff 2140 I love it! It does have a smaller throat space 6.75 but has the IDT basically a integrated walking foot, thread cutter, low bobbin, needle threader and needle up down and the ability to FMQ were my must haves when I chose it also a budget friendly price.
    I just got the Baby Lock Jane a mid arm straight stitch machine. I got it as I wanted to leave a machine set up full time (the Jane has a large throat space) set up for FMQ and it can be used on a frame. She sews like a dream I love both of them but for different reasons.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Singer Featherweight & an old Janome Travelmate. Both are mechanical machines, no computers. They both sew beautiful stitches. The Janome has a few decorative stitches & buttonhole capability. No fancy features here, just the basics.
    For quilting I am blessed to have a Babylock Crown Jewel long arm machine.
    I'm thinking about investing in a serger, but I haven't done much looking yet. Not really sure what I want or. Need in a serger. But. I think it's going to be fun looking.
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

5. Thanks quiltnforfun thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Brother SE400 to replace my ancient zigzag Singer. I really like it because I can see the technology improvements over what I've been sewing on for years. I can grow with it since I'm not familiar with built in stitches, thread cutter, no foot pedal and by golly the throat plate feeds that fabric in much straighter. Oh and the tension doesn't keep giving out. I feel like a modern lady instead of a pioneer, I'm surprise I wasn't still using a foot treadle. I wanted to try out embroidery and it does that although not large pieces only 4x4's. That's ok with me since I already have a full plate of learning ahead of me. I use it mainly for piecing.

I also recently purchased a Blockrockit mid arm to do my quilting on. Another new learning curve but I love it.

If I replaced the Brother I'd up grade it to a Brother that does larger embroidery pieces, probably to a 700 or something equivalent. Thing is, then it doesn't do the straight stitching, just embroidery so I'd still need something for the piecing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a viking quilter about 2 years ago for the large throat, speed control, locking stitch, needle threader, thread cutter and great stitching. Love it!
    Beth

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have a babylock crescendo. I love it! The laser guide is great for quilting. I also like the thread cutter, and the online automatic threader I have ever been able to use with ease. It also has a huge throat. The dual feed foot is perfect for quilting. I went from a 75 dollar singer (probably the model that would now sell for 45) to this, and I haven't had any trouble learning to use it. It is very plug and play.

Here are all the specs
    Baby Lock: Crescendo

The aria is the next model row without the laser (not sure if it comes with the dual feed foot or not). Otherwise it is the same machine so take a look if the Crescendo is out of budget.

Honestly, I can't think of a single con to this machine.
    Also, if you have a dealer that sells brothers for cheaper the twins are the dreamweaver and dreamcreator I believe.
    Last edited by ctab; January 18th, 2015 at 10:41 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Verona! I have a Bernina 550 QE for my piecing and quilting and I love it but...it was pricey. It came with the walking foot and the stitch control for FMQ and it works really well. It has needle up/down - love that, a needle threader and a host of different stitches. It also came with a knee lift for the presser foot when doing FMQ - haven't really used that much. It sews a great stitch. The stitch regulator was controls the stitch length for me while learning FMQ so I don't have to worry about that when trying to maneuver my quilt. But, it only has a 6" harp and quilting more than a lap size is challenging at best. I am planning to purchase a Juki 2010 for quilting since it has a larger harp. You may want to consider the harp size when making your purchase.

I have a BabyLock Imagine Serger and use it fairly often, especially when making pouches and the like. I've even re-fashioned a few T shirts with it. It's simple and has an auto threader and is all I need in a serger.

Then, I have the Bernina Bernette Embroidery machine and it does a wonderful job. Easy to use and the manual is very clear on how to use the different features.

Good luck and can't wait to see what you get!
    Carolyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0. I love it. I had a Pfaff 1540 before this and loved it also.
    The 4.0 has so many wonderful features
    Bobbin low warning
    built in walking foot (IDT)
    scissor cut
    needle up and down
    knee lift
    just to name a few, has a ton of great stitches and FMQ's beautiful
    11 inches to the right of the needle
    wonderful LED lighting
    comes with lots of feet
    Can you tell I love my Pfaff
    I also own 2 Bernette 203 (made by Bernina) sergers Very basic 3 thread metal machine and I love those.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have:
    Brother PE270D - Embroidery & Sewing - nice little machine, made my first quilt on it (queen size)
    Brother PC420PRW - I use this for piecing
    Brother PQ1500 - I have this on my quilting frame
    Brother 1034D Serger - I use it for serging
    Kenmore by Janome - I use this for piecing

I love my Brother machines
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!