Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing Machine Call Out to Quilters

Thanks again. I ended up biting the bullet and purchased a machine with only a slight amount of additional throat space (about 8 sq inches) than I had already. I talked with others who said sometimes the auto thread cutter cuts too short at the needle and often pulls out from the needle, when it starts again. Many people say they also never use the push button start stop because they are just so used to the foot pedal. So I compromised losing those features and gaining more stitches. My old machine had 20 stitches and I never used most of them and I must figure now having a computerized machine will make it easier to use the additional stitches. That being said, I was mostly interested in the quilting ability anyway. That was the primary reason I selected the machine I did as it came with what they referred to as a quilting kit.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Verona View Post
    Some things I have been told are: Brothers and Singers are now using plastic gears which easily wear out.
    I just want to make sure this info gets corrected!

This is simply NOT TRUE!

SOME very low end big box store machines have plastic frames, they are low quality and not meant to last.

But Brother makes outstanding sewing and embroidery machines. They have damaged their reputation with the low end machines, but that is not an accurate representation of Brother machines in general. Babylock contracts with Brother to make ALL their machines for them. Both have excellent quality. And yes there are twin machines between the brands. The differences are the exterior cosmetics, and the embroidery designs. (and price-Brother does not have the added manufacture cost since they make their own, their machines cost less).

I don't know about Singer, I have heard very mixed things about them. I do know that they do not ALL have plastic inside. Just not true.

Do not be afraid of Brother's quality! They are just as good as all the other major brands of machines!
    Cathryn

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I recently ordered a Brother PC420. Project Runway. I could not afford an elaborate 1,500 - 4000 machine right now. Someday I will. But this machine is the best little thing ever. They sell for around $600. It sews like a dream, and after my college age son came home one weekend, he showed me how to make all that fancy stitches...it is all digital and now I am even more excited. Ordered mine from Overstock.com. on sale..woot woot. I spent 3 -4 months researching and all reviews on this were 5 star. Good luck, I know you will find the perfect one. I have never seen this one in the box box stores.
    Barb B from Indiana

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by babaz View Post
    I recently ordered a Brother PC420. Project Runway. I could not afford an elaborate 1,500 - 4000 machine right now. Someday I will. But this machine is the best little thing ever. They sell for around $600.
    They look like beautiful machines! I too didn't have a budget to spend a lot and ended up purchasing a 50 stitch Janome. The shopping channel here was selling a 100 stitch Janome for the same price, but I don't get that TV station so didn't catch that deal. I haven't even tried all the stitches yet, so couldn't imagine spending the day going through 294 stitches to try! God bless your son! LOL. But since I got the machine, I finished three quilts and one quilt top. Features I do love about a digital machine is how quick you can change stitches. I had a 20 stitch manual Kenmore which I never used beyond straight or zigzag stitches. I love the auto stitch lock feature and especially the easy threader feature. I also like being able to turn it off and back on to go back to the straight stitch, rather than pressing the button to get there. Caught Jenny do it on her last video and thought it brilliant! I never have to oil this machine either. Although my old one only needed minimal oil. I wonder though if these will be like flat screen TVs and not last as long as the old ones. I will keep my old machine for back up! I didn't get as much throat space as I had hoped, but manage a FMQ full size quilt with minimal concerns. I just have to place tables in strategic places to catch the weight and bulk. Right now 4 brand new jelly rolls are calling my name!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1970s Bernina 830 Record. It's older than I am and still working like a champ! I also have a little Singer 7258 Stylist machine. I'm getting ready to buy a Juki TL-2010Q at the end of the month. I'm excited about a lot of the features on that one, but I'm especially excited about the larger throat space for larger quilts and being able to use it on my friend's quilting frame.

6. Thanks Verona thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. On your new machine ,i have had a viking that have had for abt 10 years and some stiches i never used. I just purchased a baby lock. Which has been to play with, with less stiches as i just piece , long arm my sister and i went together and bought tirea

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great machine, Happy Quilting
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Verona View Post
    What brand and model of sewing machine do you use for your quilting projects? I know you have made your choice, but answering for future reference. Brother PQ1500

What features does it have, which you absolutely need for quilting? NEEDLE DOWN! (BEST INVENTION EVER FOR QUILTING!), automatic (push button) thread cutting (BTW, great when piecing!), which by another post does not make the thread come out of the needle all the time on my machines, sometimes, yes, but mostly no. And also larger throat space - 9". Plus the extension table is great. The pin feed is useful for certain things.

What work space does your machine offer? (inches from needle to the right and from bed to the top arm)? Throat space of 9" and I think from bed to top arm, 6".

What features are you missing that you would like? Mine has an automatic needle threader, but the piece is broken, so that would be good. I shopped well, so this machine answered a lot of my questions.

Do you know of a brand and model that you could buy to replace your existing machine with all the features you would need? One of the 16" machines, like a Tiara or Sweet 16 would be great, but they also have no automatic needle threader (actually, it's a bit complex, not much, but a bit of a learning curve), I don't think they have push button thread cutting - do they?

Thanks!

Good luck with the machine you have chosen!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Which Janome model did you buy? I'm searching now for a mid level machine for quilting and bag making. I have a Juki F600 for my heavy duty sewing and large quilting but I need a machine to travel with me. I'm looking at Janome and Brother. How do you like your machine now that you've been using it?

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g8dhorse7 View Post
    Which Janome model did you buy? I'm searching now for a mid level machine for quilting and bag making. I have a Juki F600 for my heavy duty sewing and large quilting but I need a machine to travel with me. I'm looking at Janome and Brother. How do you like your machine now that you've been using it?
    I love the Janome! I did purchase a 50-stitch digital. This one is a Canadian model but am sure they have a sister model for the US.

Advanced Home Sewing Machine | Juno M1250Q | Buy Online

There was also one for the same price on the shopping channel in Canada, which I didn't know about at that time, that had 100 stitches and an extension table for the same price. I didn't compare the specifications on those two. But I did compare the specs on a 30-stitch I could buy in the store for the same price and the 50-stitch one was an upgrade over the 30-stitch although the 30 stitch included an extension table.

I have been using it continuously for quilting and mending so far. I am extremely happy with Janome. It feels like a sturdy machine. One thing that I wanted was the accessory container to open from the front. Many of the models had accessory containers which you could only access by removing the free arm. Watch for that small thing, which makes a difference! I started writing a blog on the machine. Haven't finished it yet, but it's a start.

https://veronaleslie.wordpress.com/i...ewing-machine/

Verona