Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: most appreciated hand-made gift?

I have been surprised a few times. I spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on an adorable Beatrice Potter quilt for my niece's child. Later, she commented how they throw that on the floor for popcorn and movies. : ) I wish I had given them a strip quilt with Joann Fabric!
    On the other hand, I made a simple Georgia Tech quilt for a nephew. I wasn't sure how a young man would like it, but he loves it and doesn't even put his feet on top of it. He'll get another quilt someday.
    My daughter made a baby quilt using beautiful batiks in a simple pattern. Her friend hung it on the wall in the nursery-a quilt worthy mom.

I find it a little hard to predict

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another idea I learned from a member on here. Make a baby quilt for the GRANDMA to keep at her house, because often Grandma age folks appreciate the handmade, and love involved in this baby quilt it will be well taken care of I think I thought that was a great idea Grandma Baby showers can be very fun. I"ve been to several, to equip the grandma for the new grands

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Every year for 14 years I have made my students a quilted Christmas Ornament. It is a paper pieced Initial of their first name . When a former student tells me they still have their ornament it is worth it. I am very particular about giving away my quilts and try to make sure they are appreciated and have a good home. I just come to accept that I have given a gift from my heart and if it is not appreciated I have no control on what others feel.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Of all of the sewing projects I have made for family no one has been more excited than my SIL who raves about how clever I am. It was a quillow made out of fleece. He is well over 6' 4" so I made it 3 yards long for extra tuck in.
    He thought I was so clever to build in a pocket for his feet that are always cold. With all his genuine appreciation over such a simple project I am always looking for things to make for him.

5. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fl girl View Post
    Every year for 14 years I have made my students a quilted Christmas Ornament. It is a paper pieced Initial of their first name . When a former student tells me they still have their ornament it is worth it. I am very particular about giving away my quilts and try to make sure they are appreciated and have a good home. I just come to accept that I have given a gift from my heart and if it is not appreciated I have no control on what others feel.
    Yes, Exactly!!!!

7. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Most non-sewers/quilters/crafters have no idea of the work involved to create something that special, so appreciation is going to be relative. It also comes down to whether or not their style and taste level is the same as yours. I learned to look around their house and look at the clothes they wear for an idea of their style.

But I know how you feel -- I made a full-sized quilt for someone and when I went to visit them I discovered that they were using it as a dog blanket.
    That doesn't necessarily mean they didn't appreciate it. Some people treat their dogs better than their kids.

9. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I confess when I was younger I never appreciated the work that went into handmade things. Of course I thanked my mother for the lovely baby blankets she sewed for my 2 kids. I used them when the kids were babies. I recently found them stored in a cupboard. Now I am quilting myself I can see the amazing work she put into them. one has all cross stitched animals on it, another crazy patchwork with large hand embroidery over each seam decorating it. My 13 yr old daughter is now using them in her room as lap quilts when she is at her desk. My mother made me an amazing cross stitched calendar one year, each 12 months was a separate picture/scene. I kept the pages and now rotate the pictures in a frame during the year. Some people ( mainly non crafters) will never understand the time/money that goes into handmade things. Esp now when you can buy a soft fleecy bed cover for $20 or so at Ikea/Costco.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have two afghans from my close cousin and one from another cousin, all appreciated. One is really too lovely to use daily but I do pull it out and just thinking about her making such beautiful things and giving them to me is as warm as the afghan! Another appreciated gift is the wooden tray my uncle made with inlaid woods of different colors. He also is the source of many of our wooden Christmas ornaments. After my close aunt died, my close cousin dried the yellow rose petals from her funeral and put them in glass heart-shaped ornaments. I did two counted cross stitches for my cousin, one when she got married and another birth record for her first child. Both are framed and have been displayed in her house. She has crocheted so many baby blankets over the past 40 years, and hats and scarves. She also bakes. She is more generous with her talents than I am...only people I really know and love get sewn things from me!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

OMG - how horrifying. I'm sure you were kind and didn't say anything - unlike me - but I am also sure you won't be making any more quilts for that person.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MariaNaito View Post
    I confess when I was younger I never appreciated the work that went into handmade things. Of course I thanked my mother for the lovely baby blankets she sewed for my 2 kids. I used them when the kids were babies. I recently found them stored in a cupboard. Now I am quilting myself I can see the amazing work she put into them. one has all cross stitched animals on it, another crazy patchwork with large hand embroidery over each seam decorating it. My 13 yr old daughter is now using them in her room as lap quilts when she is at her desk. My mother made me an amazing cross stitched calendar one year, each 12 months was a separate picture/scene. I kept the pages and now rotate the pictures in a frame during the year. Some people ( mainly non crafters) will never understand the time/money that goes into handmade things. Esp now when you can buy a soft fleecy bed cover for $20 or so at Ikea/Costco.
    I'm currently making counted cross stitch baby bibs and found that you can get four nice bibs for six bucks at the Dollar Store! :O I know the cost of labor is cheaper overseas but I would think it would cost something for the shipping...