Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Widow....now what?

Sorry for the typo on your name. : /
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

2. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Sewflower,
    I am so sorry for your loss. One of my neighbors husband passed away and she was about your age. She was going through such a rough time as yourself. She came over one day and I told her to go out and get a job and be with people. She had never worked before and was very nervous so, my daughter got her a job in Costco and she has made so many friends. They go out to dinner and go shopping and she's contented. She will not forget her hubby but, she had to do this for herself. You need to do this for yourself and get out of your house. Please think about it. I am sending you BIG BEAR HUGS ((( HUGS)))
    Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

4. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sewflower, I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and always know there are many here who understand your pain and loss at this time. It does get easier over time but please remember to take care of yourself now! That will be most important to your future.
    I hope these notes from all here bring you some comfort.
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

6. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your loss. Just know it takes time to reach a new normal. Every grieves differently. I can not imagine the pain, I know what it was like when my mom passed , that is a fraction of what you must be going through. I definitely think about going back to work, maybe after a few weeks off.((((HUGS)))))
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

8. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comforting thoughts and prayers. Reading the posts gave me a lot to think about. It helped me realize that I am not alone and there is a lot of caring wonderful people on this board. I know I will have good days and bad days. Yesterday was a bad one but I am determined that today is a good day. I'm going to Quilt all afternoon. I'm set up and ready to go. I'm going to finish the rag quilt I was making my husband. We had a standing joke that I would make him a quilt after he was dead. We would go to Quilt shops and I always told him I was buying fabric for his quilt and all the time added to my stash and making quilts for everyone else. So I'm going to finish his quilt today and wrap myself in it tonight. Thanks again and I love you guys.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

We'll look forward to seeing what you have chosen to make for him.

11. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have no advice as I am in the same predicament (although going through a divorce is not a death, it often feels that way to me) and have no advice. I just want to send you huge warm cyber hugs to get you through what must be a very difficult period of time. You have received some very good help here and will receive a lot more I'm sure. Coming here is a great start! xox

13. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sewflower View Post
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their comforting thoughts and prayers. Reading the posts gave me a lot to think about. It helped me realize that I am not alone and there is a lot of caring wonderful people on this board. I know I will have good days and bad days. Yesterday was a bad one but I am determined that today is a good day. I'm going to Quilt all afternoon. I'm set up and ready to go. I'm going to finish the rag quilt I was making my husband. We had a standing joke that I would make him a quilt after he was dead. We would go to Quilt shops and I always told him I was buying fabric for his quilt and all the time added to my stash and making quilts for everyone else. So I'm going to finish his quilt today and wrap myself in it tonight. Thanks again and I love you guys.
    I love it that you are going to finish this quilt and wrap yourself in it. That will be like he is wrapping you up with his love! Savor this delicious feeling! It will bring comfort and good memories to you whenever you use it.

15. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Think it will be wonderful for you to work on finishing your husband's quilt. Maybe make the quilt label out of a hankie of his so he will always be near you. I still wear a fleece jacket of my Mams, she passed 15 years ago, the elbows have no more fleece on them. It gives me such comfort though.
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

17. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel.

Mown husband.... 46 years...died one year go this past thursday.... January 8th. It has been rough year... He had been ill for about two years.

What next? Good question. Everything changes when you become widow.... Everything.... Nothing is the same.

Grief is very personal thing. We all grieve in our own way..... There is no time limit for it, and there're no rules.

A couple of things....try not to make any major decisions for at least a year, if you can help it.... You're just not ready. I, with experience as a bereavement minister, understood this, but made a bad decision within the first three months, anyway..

Please... Don't let anyone.....and I mean anyone push you into doing anything you know you're not ready for, such giving your husband's clothing away. I've given few things to family members, but everything else is still here. They may always be here... That's my decision.

You might be urged to "move on"...... Whatever that means...... Grief isn't all neat and tidy like that. There re seven official stages of grief.... They come and go.... But in no particular order.... And they repeat themselves.... It's OK, and very normal. There is only problem if younger stuck in one stage.

I get what we call grief bursts..... These are sudden,very brief, but intense feelings of grief. They can be scary, but happen topmost people.

Sorry to go on and on. I really wish I could just give you hug......and tell you to hang in there. You will never get over such a terrible loss, but little by little, you will begin to figure out "what's next".

Blessings

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

19. Thanks Sewflower thanked for this post