Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you tried the Missouri Star block?

I found Missouri Star Quilt Company in 2011 when searching for a pattern for the Missouri Star block. Jenny gave me a paper pieced pattern, which I could not figure out how to make. I found some templates that help me with the process, but Jenny's tutorial made everything look so easy! Hey, she makes everything look easy!

So I decided to try making this block today. Gathered my fabrics and rulers ( thanks Jenny for making the math so easy!). Watched the tutorial about 5 times. Tried out my new Singer S-16 straight stitch machine, and my first block went ok until it came to the quarter square triangles! Oh boy, they didn't square up very well! When I joined those pieces with the star legs to the center block, my legs were spread apart! (Sorry for that metaphor!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	97658
    Yikes!
    So I sewed the next one a little differently. In my failed block, The white triangle was bigger than the quarter square triangle piece, so I centered the QST piece over the white. This made the squaring up hard, cutting off some vital parts of the finished triangle. On my second, much more successful attempt, I lined up one edge of each piece, leaving the white on the other edge the only place that needed trimming. I also squared up the Eleanor Burns way, BEFORE ironing the block open. Much more successful!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	97659

Whooohoo! Looks much better!

My advice is to plan on making a potential throw away block if you are planning to make this quilt! As we all found out from trying other blocks that Jenny demonstrates so flawlessly, what you see may not be what you get, but practice does make perfect, or at least a little bit better!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you tried the Missouri Star block?

Great block, I like them both but I do see the second one is just a bit sharper.
    Anita G.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I tried that one, early on when learning to quilt and almost gave up my new hobby!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jean, for the advice. I've been wanting to try to make this block and will follow your suggestions.
    It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I will be doing that any time soon. Maybe someday, when the grands are grown and I actually have free time, lol. The way I am looking at the block, (could be my eyesight) that the points would be cut off when pieced.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I remember a Group I joined that was making M* blocks for a soldier from Missouri. The block was a nightmare to make and I sure was glad I just had to make one....and I'm from Missouri...lol!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I remember a Group I joined that was making M* blocks for a soldier from Missouri. The block was a nightmare to make and I sure was glad I just had to make one....and I'm from Missouri...lol!
    I had forgotten about that...they were 8" blocks. That quilt was made for Justin McCloud, a wounded Marine from my area. I think Megan (BellasQuilts) put it together. I still have a pic of it on my laptop.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntiemern View Post
    I don't think I will be doing that any time soon. Maybe someday, when the grands are grown and I actually have free time, lol. The way I am looking at the block, (could be my eyesight) that the points would be cut off when pieced.
    I think it would work. There is 1/4" at the end of each point for the seam. I could fake it and make it work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny's tutorial makes this look very doable. But, to date, I have no desire to make one. Unless I do a Barn Quilt with it. I think I can handle that one. Ruler, pencils, paint. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am in process of making one for a wall hanging. My seam allowance was too large so I had a little trouble with that. Otherwise it wasn't too bad, fun learning something new. I lost some points (2) when I added the border but it's not upsetting me.
    Quilter since 2013.