Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AN UNUSUAL QUESTION!

Is there a women's shelter in your area? I'm sure they would be more than happy to take them!

Women from a purse group I belong to go to thrift shops and buy leather jackets, coats, pants, etc and cut them up for purses....and yes, I'm going to do that too!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the women's shelter are good. A lot of women are in transition and really need clothes for work.
    I'd be tempted to cut off buttons and zippers for clothes not donated. Nice buttons are pricey and now, well, with that zipper bag tutorial ..................

4. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not every office is casual. My DD has spent a fortune in her new work wardrobe this past year. She loves to dress up, so it is all good.

6. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

what if you donate your clothes to a salvation army? They sell the better items in their stores and donate what is usable to 3rd world countries if necessary.
    Joan

8. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions . . . . and glad to hear there are well dressed folks still out there. I'll try some of these other options tomorrow.

I do think I'm gonna keep a few favorite (fabrics) for some future quilt/purse/bag.

Rebecca, I'm surprised to hear that airlines are hiring 'hefty' flight attendants. Some years ago, my dear friend was a FA and always concerned about weight 'cause her airline (others, too, I'm sure) had min/max parameters for weight 'n you were grounded if you didn't maintain tolerances. Also there was a time a Co. could legally hire for some positions (a receptionist for example) based upon certain physical requirements or gender. It's a different world out there today!
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine financial, legal and sales people dressing casually when visiting clients. Everyone dresses in suits and skirts.

If Dress for Success is full, then ask the women's shelter where they get their clothes from.

11. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    I'm always surprised when I go into a 'professional' office or workplace and see staff dressed in jeans and t-shirts . . .
    That is the norm here. And wearing flip flops with socks to work.

13. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you see news stories of the best companies to work ie..Google etc they are all casual.

Lorie

15. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The charity I help run has a dress code for all of us volunteers. We only wear dresses when we represent the Festival of Trees. Our charity gives 100% of what we receive to pay the medical bills at our regional children's hospital. We wear a dress or skirt and jacket, hose and nice pumps or boots. When I stop by a store or run some errands on my way to do a Festival business, I'm always amused at how differently I'm treated dressed that way. When I needed to meet with someone to promote my business that is how I dressed and it always worked out well. I think there is still place in this world for dressing professional.
    ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ~Debbie~♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    -:- Circumstances, often you can’t change them. It’s about choice. Some people say “under the circumstances”. I choose to be “on top of the circumstances.” -:-

Pinterest

17. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bscuzz View Post
    My closet cleaning mission (to make room for Quilting supplies) has presented an unusual situation. I mentioned in a prev post that I had purged many items from prior work wardrobe . . . . . shoes . . . blouses . . . slacks . . . suits and was faced with how to dispose of them - the obvious to donate them.

However, out of curiosity, I placed a call to a couple 'consignment shops' (investment of thousands could perhaps recoup a few dollars). First shop doesn't take clothing items, more geared to estate type consignment, but she gave me a # for a shop that does take clothing.

When I spoke to them, was told work attire today is very casual, no suits, slacks or jackets!!! She says even for an interview, no one buys a suit anymore - just a black casual jacket and black pants, so no interest there. She also suggested that I first call those who take donations to see if they accept these items.

Now I ask myself, what is the future for my treasure trove of (no longer used) work clothes?? You see, I consider my clothes very personal to me - yeah, I know, that's weird!! I thought a fitting future would be that someone would use them . . . and appreciate them as I did. I could even recommend the body style they would be most suited for - - like, my body style!?!?!?

Well anyway, the unusual question is "what can I make out of them (the material, that is)" if they cannot, in fact, be donated??? The materials are good quality, designer brands mostly and feel nice to the touch and a variety of colors. So, if I made my Grands purses from my Mr.'s ties - what can I make from my slacks?? A toothbrush rug . . . a braided quilt . . . a lampshade . . . somethin'?? If you think I'm 'nuts' so be it . . . but if you have ideas, let's hear 'em?
    I'm thinking this causal trend hasn't hit the Midwest! Although I think it's true even here that separates are more common than suits, but I wonder if that's a fashion trend more than a move to a more casual look.

19. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post