Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trouble with Minky on the back of the quilt

Does anyone else have trouble quilting when you are using minky on the back of the quilt? My machine just can't do it. My $200 singer had no problems, but my Janome 8900 just can't seem to grab the minky with the feed dogs to advance it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this work? I love using minky on the back of little baby quilts. So far I've tried increasing the pressure on my pressure foot and using the supreme slider so the rest of the quilt moves easier. I usually end up pulling my quilt through which then messes up the tension or timing on the inside of my machine and then I get a clunk, which means a $99 service is needed. It's so frustrating. Also, if you know anything about the clunk I get and how to fix it, that would be great! It's been frustrating me so much that I just don't want to quilt at all and quilting used to be how I would reduce my anxiety, now it just causes more.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trouble with Minky on the back of the quilt

I did a ton of research about working with minky and here are my top ten hints (they really helped me. I have a Janome 7700, btw):Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: Top 10 Tips when Working with Minky

3. Thanks Monique, Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a walking foot? I have this machine, made some infinity scarves from Minky-like fabric, and with the walking foot had no problems with it feeding correctly. I have not done a quilt with Minky backing though.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is it true minky? I had a quilting friend tell me that they can quilt minky but not polar fleece. Isn't it always the way, our machines tell us what they want to do when they want to do it.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Sorry to hear you have problems with minky. Angie, those are great tips. I quilted an extra large king size quilt with minky of the back of it. I agree, pin...pin...pin! A vacuum is a must to keep the mess down. I don't know if I went with the nap or not. I have a Baby Lock and had no problems with using the machine, it was the other properties of minky that had me changing my methods. LOL! As a middle aged adult, I really love the minky on the back of my quilt! It's warmer and softer than a normal quilt. Because I get really cold, I put two layers of soft and natural batting in the middle. Maybe there is a layer of fleece, too, don't remember. It's warm and I am happy! (It's a bear to machine wash!)

I really hope you can figure out solutions to your issues. I would recommend minky highly!!!

7. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Is it true minky? I had a quilting friend tell me that they can quilt minky but not polar fleece. Isn't it always the way, our machines tell us what they want to do when they want to do it.
    Really? I've just used polar fleece as backing (no batting in between) and had absolutely no problems at all. It was pin basted and I FMQed it with meanders. It was my first time using polar fleece for a quilt and I really found it an interesting solution for really soft, low cost and light weight lap quilts.
    Sometimes when I have trouble with the feetdogs not grabbing properly, increasing the stitch length may help.

9. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've had no problem quilting with Minkee on the back. I read the article mentioned above when I first used Minkee and they are good tips. I always use my walking foot and I keep my designs simpler than with other quilting. I like the softness of it when it isn't as densely quilted. BTW - I use a Janome 6600

11. Thanks Laurie B thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

can you flip it over and quilt it with the back side up? if not- go with the walking foot.
    If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the "Minky tips"--- I will be making some baby blankets in the future, and these tips will sure help !!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When sewing with minky, I usually use a stitch length of 3.0 or 3.5, depending on how the quilt is moving through the machine that day. Keep your machine and bobbin area cleared of lint/fuzz often! Definitely use a walking foot for best results. (I did fmq one quilt, and it was just eh.). And I spray baste, can't imagine using pins on that stretchy stuff!

15. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post