Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trouble with Minky on the back of the quilt

I don't have a walking foot - but when I've had an issue . . I use a piece of tissue paper - sometimes I double it over . . works like a champ
    2015 is here
    Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other

2. Thanks Laurie B, zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Country Hut, this is a great idea and I'm just starting some baby quilts with Minkee, I"m gonna use tissue paper

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like to spray baste with minkee. Also the longer stitch length. I have more trouble with fleece getting stuck in the feed dogs.

And whenever I have heard the "clunking" sound it meant there was too much lint under my bobbin case. Whenever working with something very linty, I would clean under the bobbin case with each rewinding. Pipe cleaners are great at getting into tight spaces and the lint clings to it. They are also very cheap. Bought a package at Joann's for 99 cents a couple of years back and am only halfway through it.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always spray baste with Minky and I use a 90/10 stretch needle and increase my stitch length about 3.5 to 4. Use a walking foot and clean your feeddogs and your bobbin area frequently. If its a big quilt I will pin as well but if you have basted the quilt well it should not shift if you feel it shifting make sure your not pulling the fabric thru, if your not you did not baste it well enough.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I dreaded my first backing using minky, but spray basting (I now have a healthy supply of the stuff and a lot of very lonely basting pins) and learning where the "snap" portion of the fabric was, it proceeded very nicely with no issues along with my walking foot, increased stitch length and no fancy FMQ on this stuff! Simple gridding is all I ever do with this stuff. The stitch pretty much disappears anyway. So now I have no worries about using minky or cuddle cloth. There are tons of fuzz bunnies, but clean, clean, clean and don't wear black, lol!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites to back a quilt with and I really like FMQing with Minky! I spray baste and use warm and white in the middle. The quilts are so snuggly and warm.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I made a lot of scarves with Minky and it makes it easier to use a walking foot and also use a needle that is for knit fabrics, and pin, pin, pin.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips. I didn't use my walking foot. I don't know why, but I always forget about it! I am very good about cleaning under my bobbin with every change and I spray baste everything because I'm too lazy to pin. I had my stitch length at 3.0. I'll try my walking foot next time and see if that solves my problem, if not then I'll just assume my machine hates Minky and find something else to back a baby quilt with!!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the great information - it was posted just as I was tackling my first project with minky/cuddle cloth, so the timing was great!

I just finished quilting what will be a wrap/shawl made from a jelly roll, based on a pattern I found on the Moda website. As soft, easy maneuverability was the goal, light quilting was recommended, so I just did stitch in the ditch. I used my Janome DC2012 with the walking foot, stitch length set to 3.0, tension at about 4.5. I was using cuddle cloth with the textured dots in it, which was purchased at Hobby Lobby. I pin basted it, but not heavily.

I did find that it was a bit of work to move the fabric through the machine, and that at points my stitches are smaller than I intended. Perhaps a Supreme Slider would have helped, but I don't own one. I'm pleased to say that there were no tension issues, no birds nests on the back of the quilt, and not a lot of lint build-up in the bobbin area.

I probably won't be doing a lot of projects with this kind of backing, but I would not hesitate due to fear in the future. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Holly

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the Janome 8900 too and have quite a few problems with it. The latest is that it seems to grab too tightly with the dogs. It's as if the dogs are too high. It's difficult to turn tight corners with it (e.g. when sewing two pieces of a doll's dress collar). I don't know if the dogs can be adjusted. The instruction manual is very long and I've not read ita ll yet.