Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giveaway Week 33 Aug 27th - Sep 2nd

Congratulations to goonybird! Random.org chose you to be the winner of 500 Quilters Cash Points this week! Hey now you can go shopping!

I probably do most of my sewing alone but quilting is for friends, right?
    So for this week I want to know if you have any quilting buddies. Friends around the corner or across town that you will get together with and talk crafts and projects and show off your latest sewing to and occasionally you may even get together and sew!

So respond here by clicking the reply to thread button at the top or bottom of the page and tell us if you've got any quilting buddies! Do you have two, ten, or is that were you just ran out of luck? Do you actually sew together or just talk about it? Let us know and you'll be entered to win 500 Quilters Cash Points!

Good Luck!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 33 Aug 27th - Sep 2nd

Congrats to goonybird!

The only quilty/sewing pals I have are on here!! Wish I knew someone closer so we could go fabric hunting together!
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is my Quilting buddy!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter is my quilting buddy, we shop fabric, talk fabric, surf quilting sites, etc. Other than her, we go to quilts for kids locally. They meet every Thursday night and a few ladies bring their machines and quilt away. It is always great to see what they are working on and the colors and designs. They are all so helpful and encouraging. We don't go every Thursday, maybe once or twice a month.
    Jo

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

my mother in law is the one who showed me how to quilt and anytime we can we get together and quilt but she lives in ohio and i live in florida so it not often but i am wanting to show some of my close family members how to quilt so that when i want to talk about quilting or have someone to help when i am doing a big quilt i am the only one in my side of the family what knows how to do any sewing so if any one needs something done they always come to me which is good to do something for the family
    There's nothing more exicting than starting a new project april

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 friends that come to my house on Tues. night. It's the only time I see anyone other than my Husband, my dogs, and my birds. Sometimes we call it off due to bad weather, illness, or holidays. If someone has a cold, they don't come because I can't take any germs to my Granddaughter, who is seriously ill and immune compromised. I'm on call to babysit in case anything happens to Emily and she has to go to the hospital. The girls who come here are the same girls who were part of my machine knitting club. That started in 1983. People moved or lost interest in knitting and left. It used to be a group of 12, sometimes 13 people. This has happened for all these years. The faithful 3 besides me didn't give up the Tues. night ritual. That's when we decided to look into quilting. Now, we have 7 of us who meet once a month for quilting on the first friday of the month. We have taken classes together, gone on shop hops, had show and tell, or shown each other a new ruler or pattern we have found and the host demonstrates what they have found. The 7 of us take turns hosting the monthly meeting. This group have been meeting since 2005 I think. But my three steady girls still meet at my house on Tuesdays anyway. Otherwise I don't see anyone. If it wasn't for their friendship I would be totally isolated. God bless them. So sometimes we talk about what we are doing and do show and tell. One of the girls (Dawn) has always been part of the group. So I have seen her every week since 1983. I love her to pieces because she has seen me through operations, and illness. There have been times that I have been laid up in bed and she still comes on Tuesday. She has been such a good, kind, friend. And is my best friend through everything. I don't know what I would do without her.
    Congratulations to Goonybird. You are one lucky bird! LOL Hugs, Jan L.
    Last edited by janluna; August 27th, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Goonybird!!

I do all my sewing by myself. I've tried to recruit a few people to sew with me, but no one seems interested....they dont know what they are missing.
    I do call my sister and we sew together long distance...lol If either of us has a question, we'll walk each other through it over the phone.

I have several friends that sew/quilt...but we have never got together for sewing....just shopping! LOL Sometimes, I can get MrWindy to help me out with cutting (when my hand wont cooperate with me) and my youngest son will come in my sewing room and sit and talk or watch tv while I sew. Its great company!!
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

congrats goonybird! Besides my MSQC forum friends, I belong to our local quilt guild (Mad River Quilters). I'm their newest member and so far only go to meetings. But beginning in September they are starting One Shot Wednesdays which are a series of one-night project classes - I've signed up for a couple of those. And they are beginning UFO Fridays (self-explanatory). They also have a few multi-night courses coming up which I'm still considering.
    Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Goonybird! I have several quilting buddies here at home and here on MSQC forum but the one I will remember forever is a lady I met during a home health visit a couple years ago.I was being trained by another nurse on how to apply a wound vac dressing.This dear lady had terminal cancer and she was our patient. Please keep in mind this was the first time I ever met her. As the nurse was showing me how to piece together this dressing I said " Oh it's kinda like putting together a quilt." All of a sudden this ladys face lit up and she said "Oh you quilt?". I said yes I love to sew. She immediately said in a matter of fact voice "We need to talk."
    I was like o.k. She then ask me to write down her number and ask that I call her when I got off work.So I did. On the way home she ask me to come back to her house ;she had something for me. She ended up giving me thousands of dollars worth of sewing equiptment.All the notions she had,iron,ironing board, books,magazines,stencils,scissors,projector,rulers ,rotary cutters,fabric, thread anything and everything you can possibly imagine she gave me. She told me no one in her family wanted any of it and she knew it would end up in the dump so she was so glad to find someone that would put it to good use and she could tell I was truly a good person. She cried when she told me this and so did I. It makes me cry just thinking about her. We became very good friends in what little time we had. She passed away a year ago and I really miss her.She was a wonderful person. Again the thing we quilters always say...People who quilt are very special people. I agree with that totally and that is why this forum is the best around. You are all very wonderful special people that I am proud to call you my quilting buddies.
    Last edited by RFREE; August 27th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and I sew together nearly everyday. Then the first Friday Night of the month we sew with the MSQC group and then meet with our quilting guild once a month and talk sewing. There is also a group who get together and work on quilts to be donated. Then I have all of you so I feel very lucky to have a wonderful and diverse group to have in my life. Thanks to all of you.