Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing Gifts for Grandchildren

I made large pillows, 27"x27" pillows for my four grandchildren for Christmas. They were a huge hit. I would much rather make something for them than spend money on toys because they have way too much. I have three grandsons, 6 1/2, 4, 3 1/2, and a granddaughter 3.

What kind of gifts have you sewn for your grandchildren? The oldest will be 7 in February so I need to get busy on that one!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing Gifts for Grandchildren

Not much help here but I am making a Frozen quilt for my granddaughter for her 2nd birthday in a couple of weeks. I may make her some PJs, too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have grandkids yet, but have nieces/nephews and great nieces/nephews. I have done lots of pillow cases - whatever they are "into" for the year. Have done quilts for most of them as they were born or after - I started quilting after a few of them got here.

I have an embroidery machine, so I have done embroidered hooded bath towels. Those have been big hits with the kids all year long.

My next thing I am going to do for the kids, that I am going to start on now, so that it is not such a rush next year are indoor snowball fights. Basically it is a soft white ball with a snowman face embroidered on it in a bucket. I bought the pattern last December and still have not made any of them.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I gave my grandson a quilt for Christmas and am working on the granddaughter's quilts and they will get them when I'm finished with them. I also gave my son and his wife a quilt for Christmas.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I have made all four of them quilts. That's why I'm looking for new things. The oldest has two quilts because he outgrew the other. I'll make more for the others as they grow bigger.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

This year for the great grands I did stockings that when you turned them inside out were horse head puppets. Not sure with all the other stuff they have how much they enjoyed them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have one grandson. Three years ago, after my first year of quilting, he received a wrestling themed quilt. The backing had skulls on it that glowed in the dark! He was 13 at the time, and I wasn't sure if he was going to appreciate a quilt, but, because of the theme, he really liked it. For his 16th birthday, I made him a full sized quilt in black, red and grey. It is called "Lightning Strikes", and you can see it in my album "Completed Projects". In the future, he will get at least one - two more quilts from me. Possibly one, if needed, if/when he goes away to school, and I plan to make a wedding quilt for him. That may be something that gets made in advance, to be given when appropriate.

My daughter will have a step-daughter when she is married in a few weeks. The little girl is about 10 years old. I made her a quilt last year and a quilted purse. I plan to make her and my daughter matching aprons. I will probably make a special placemat for her as well, and I have a cute pattern for a Hanukkah wall hanging that I would like to make for her. I am sure there will be a few other quilts as well. My daughter has asked if the three of us could make a project together. I will enjoy doing that, although I don't know what it will be.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; January 1st, 2015 at 09:29 PM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made each of them a rag quilt last year with matching pillow cases. Huge pillows sound like a great idea for next year for the little ones. I did make doll quilts for the two granddaughter's American Girl dolls for their birthdays this year. PJs inside of a large stocking for each of them might work too! I would have to decide and start now or they would never get finished in time for next Christmas!
    Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A couple years ago, I made every grandchild a quilt....from queen sized down to twin. Five of them. I have also made Ryan purses, which she loves (she is 13 going on 20!). That said, one of these grandchildren (and probably her mother) won't be getting another quilt from me (hers was an oversized twin) because I found out she gave it to the dog!!! She wadded it up and put it in his kennel and her mother let her do it! Makes my blood boil just thinking about it. This grandgirl was going to get a very cool backpack bag this last Christmas that looked like a guitar, but I won't be making her anything else.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

3 grandsons, ages, 7,2 and 3 months. Have made each of them a quilt and this year, made matching PJ pants for them. We will have them all together in January and hope to get a picture of them in their matching PJ's.