Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there a difference in quality between Kona at Joann's and Kona other places?

Does Kona make a cheaper version of it's solid color fabrics to sew at Joann's or is it the same quality as what is available elsewhere, such as the MSQC version?

Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there a difference in quality between Kona at Joann's and Kona other places?

I mostly use Kona from Joann 's, because it 's cheaper there... I buy Kona black and white...

I 've also bought Kona from MY LQS, and it seems to be the same....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there a difference in quality between Kona at Joann's and Kona other places?

According to the Kauffman Kona folks themselves, Kona is Kona Is Kona, no matter where you buy it. They only make one line, so if it's Kona, you're good.

But you do need to avoid kona with a lower case "k". That's a knock-off product that IS a lower quality.

EDIT: Just found an old M* thread, but my tablet won't let me paste the URL. Do a search on "Kona Joann quality" to find it. Sorry.
    Last edited by GuitarGramma; January 1st, 2015 at 03:10 PM.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

But would Joann's sell a Kona knock-off, "kona?" Just asking, the store is closed today so I can't go shopping.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    According to the Kauffman Kona folks themselves, Kona is Kona Is Kona, no matter where you buy it. They only make one line, so if it's Kona, you're good.

But you do need to avoid kona with a lower case "k". That's a knock-off product that IS a lower quality.

EDIT: Just found an old M* thread, but my tablet won't let me paste the URL. Do a search on "Kona Joann quality" to find it. Sorry.
    I did the search, thanks, it helped.

And I called Joann's, it IS open today! Maybe they figure football widows want to shop.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time shopping! Just be careful about the K and k.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you select Kaufman Kona, the quality should be the same no matter where you buy it. I've seen fabric called kona at Joann's that does NOT say it is by Kaufman. I don't care for the quality of the "kona" Joann's carries, but have always been pleased with the Kaufman brand.

8. Thanks stationarymom thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your response. The kona cotton at Joann's is not manufactured by Robert Kaufman and is definitely not the same quality. It may be fine for some projects but should not be confused with the Kona by Robert Kaufman.
    Last edited by Daphne1209; October 31st, 2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Typo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would think Robert Kaufman would jump all over another company selling fabric and calling it kona. Isn't that some kind of copyright violation?

11. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Robert Kaufman Kona representative said that their product is to be the same in all stores. If you happen to run across what doesn't seem to be Robert Kaufman Kona in JoAnn's or any other store to please let them know and send a sample in so they can check the product that you bought.