Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brandy's Circle Magic Ruler

Good Morning,

So I was looking online for Cathedral Quilts and guess what popped up in the Google results? The one and ONLY MSQC's Jenny!! It was her tutorial for making quick cathedral "like" quilt using Brandy's Circle Magic Ruler.

It really looked easy so I raced to the website, got the daily deal layer cake, got the moda basic layer cake, the ruler set, some other goodies I couldn't live without and now I have them in my hot little hands.

No here's the question....BATTING...did you find that the blanket was warm enough with the 2 layer of fabric, or should I add a 6 1/2 square of batting into each one, like she has setup for the hotpads? I just wanted your opinion for the heaviness of the quilt and if you think adding batting might be better??

As always appreciate all of your help and guidance!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brandy's Circle Magic Ruler

Michael, I haven't made one, but if I were making one I'd want the added batting in it . . . UNLESS, you were just going to use it as a throw or 'bedspread'. But, if you're going to use it as a quilt is meant to be used, I think it needs the added 'warmth'. JMHO.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I made the Fons and Porter Peekaboo which is the same idea. I did not spring for the template but I wish I had. If you don't want to use regular batt you can use flannel. It's a good compromise and not too bulky. I used that in my quilt and it worked well.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Both of these girls are right! If you want a lightweight throw then batting is not necessary. If you do want to use batting I would choose a lightweight low loft batting. (Yes, flannel is a great alternative!) I would cut your batting to the size of the inner square so your folded down "cathedral-like" sides do not become too bulky to sew through. A great option is fusible fleece. It has the weight of batting with a fusible side so your batting will not slip while you are stitching down all those circles. I hope this helps! Good luck with your quilt!