Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twirls & Swirls Quilt

so ladies remember the tutorial on the Twirls & Swirls Quilt well it was made using a charm pack
    could it be made with a layer cake and would it be the same way, as the charm pack it 5 1/2 and the
    layer cake is 10" so how would you go about making it in layer cake.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Twirls & Swirls Quilt

Are you going to use the layer cake for the triangles or the background? By the way, charm squares are 5" square, not 5-1/2". I think it would work with layer cake pieces, you would need to figure out the proportions of triangles to background. In the one shown, they use a 5" square for the triangles and 6-1/2" for background. If you are going to use the 10" squares for the triangles, I think the background squares would need to be 13". I'd practice with some scrap fabrics to see if you like that proportion before cutting your fabric. Good luck!

One question I have about this type of appliqué work is how you would quilt it. I don't have the book so I'm not sure how they recommend quilting it. With the big squares of 13", you would need to quilt closer than stitch in the ditch between blocks. I would want to figure that out before going ahead with this project.